I can't dial my grinder for pressurized basket. - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » May 17, 2018, 1:02 pm

Since your goal is to graduate to non pressurized baskets, just make the switch. You aren't doing yourself any favors by learning on the pressurized basket. It covers up the effects of enough variables that when you do make the break you'll still have to learn the basics almost from scratch. Don't be afraid to screw up a few shots, the bad shots are as important as the good ones to discover what it takes to make a good shot. As you practice, change 1 variable at a time or you'll never know what caused your result. Was it the grind, the tamping pressure, the dose? Also, try different types beans. I've had a few batches of good quality beans that I just couldn't dial in on the particular machine I was using, no matter how hard I tried. While you are learning take notes. As you get better your consistency will increase, you'll understand the effect each variable will probably have, you'll also understand that once you have everything dialed in, your shot tomorrow won't be exactly the same as your shot today, you'll begin to develop a feeling for what tiny adjustments you need to make over the life of your batch of beans. If all the variables under your control remained exactly the same, the first shot you pull from a batch will not be exactly the same as the last shot you pull from it. Eventually those minor adjustments will become second nature.

Kemo_88

Postby Kemo_88 » May 17, 2018, 7:05 pm

I dont know if i can use detergent or not, the manual mention only descal, but i think it is ok, what could happen?
Today i descaled the machine and cleaned the shower screen, it was all covered by coffee residual from the inside.

I tried measuring the brew water temp, i have a digital thermometer, the max temp i could read is 84-86 C,, i did not follow any method, i just put the pin of the thermometer under the running water from the shower screen, accuracy way off i think, i was set the temp to low, but even i tried high temp and couldnt observe any change in the reading, that is why i suspect my measuring method.

Pulled a double shot after all that, the beans were out and got a new brand, i felt the taste slight bitter and didnt last in my mouth like before, so maybe the new beans were old.

Kemo_88

Postby Kemo_88 » May 18, 2018, 4:56 pm

donniedarko wrote:Since your goal is to graduate to non pressurized baskets, just make the switch. You aren't doing yourself any favors by learning on the pressurized basket. It covers up the effects of enough variables that when you do make the break you'll still have to learn the basics almost from scratch. Don't be afraid to screw up a few shots, the bad shots are as important as the good ones to discover what it takes to make a good shot. As you practice, change 1 variable at a time or you'll never know what caused your result. Was it the grind, the tamping pressure, the dose? Also, try different types beans. I've had a few batches of good quality beans that I just couldn't dial in on the particular machine I was using, no matter how hard I tried. While you are learning take notes. As you get better your consistency will increase, you'll understand the effect each variable will probably have, you'll also understand that once you have everything dialed in, your shot tomorrow won't be exactly the same as your shot today, you'll begin to develop a feeling for what tiny adjustments you need to make over the life of your batch of beans. If all the variables under your control remained exactly the same, the first shot you pull from a batch will not be exactly the same as the last shot you pull from it. Eventually those minor adjustments will become second nature.


I already screwed up many shots :)
The thing is, i have been playing with all the variables and always the same result, thr pressurized basket seems to not change anything..
Yes, i will buy another set of baskets and depressurize it and see what i will get, i have a good grinder and machine i suppose, so it is a matter of time and wasted beans to get a decent taste.

Kemo_88

Postby Kemo_88 » May 18, 2018, 5:10 pm

This is today's shot,, i tried coarsen the grind a bit but found that the basket takes less coffee as i go coarser, it should take 14 grames but it took 12.8 with this grind size,, but just seem nothing is really happen to taste, the crema has the same color and bitter taste..
You guys judge the shot.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F31b-qsPl8c

User avatar
bluesman

Postby bluesman » replying to Kemo_88 » May 18, 2018, 5:24 pm

I'm afraid you may be asking more of your machine than it can deliver. Those shots don't look at all bad re: flow rate etc - they look like what I'd expect from your machine, and they probably taste like it. It's made for simple and consistent delivery of drinkable espresso - I have serious doubts that you or anyone else can make it pull great shots. I'm sorry and I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but I fear you may be wasting time & money trying to make it into a traditional machine with open PFs etc. It's doing what it was designed to do. That simply may not be what you (and the rest of us) want in our cups.

Kemo_88

Postby Kemo_88 » May 20, 2018, 5:45 pm

Just pulled a double shot making two moka drinks,,, last shot was 12.9 grams with 26 grind size, it was weak and watery, today i wanted to go finer and updose to the supposed 14 grams in the basket.

One thing i noticed,, i thought that when i go finer the basket should take more coffee, my thoughts is more finer makes the beans take less volume, so i set 23 grind size and with the same grind time i get 12.3 grams ( same time as 26 size which gives 12.9 grams), so adding more coffee to reach 14 grams makes the basket over filled, i had to tamp hard to make the portafilter fit and close to the head.

Actually i have no complaint to the taste, maybe adding chocolate syrup balances the taste, no bitterness and the drink tastes like it should enjoying a coffee feel.

What i want to ask is this grind size vs volume thing,, as i go finer the basket takes less coffee weight, is this true?

donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » May 22, 2018, 11:41 am

Kemo_88 wrote:I dont know if i can use detergent or not, the manual mention only descal, but i think it is ok, what could happen?
Today i descaled the machine and cleaned the shower screen, it was all covered by coffee residual from the inside.

I tried measuring the brew water temp, i have a digital thermometer, the max temp i could read is 84-86 C,, i did not follow any method, i just put the pin of the thermometer under the running water from the shower screen, accuracy way off i think, i was set the temp to low, but even i tried high temp and couldnt observe any change in the reading, that is why i suspect my measuring method.

Pulled a double shot after all that, the beans were out and got a new brand, i felt the taste slight bitter and didnt last in my mouth like before, so maybe the new beans were old.


Do not run detergent through the espresso machine. You'll be cleaning foam out of it for a very long time. If you remove the shower screen you can use detergent the removed screen and give it a good scrub.

donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » May 22, 2018, 11:50 am

Kemo_88 wrote:I already screwed up many shots :)
The thing is, i have been playing with all the variables and always the same result, thr pressurized basket seems to not change anything..
Yes, i will buy another set of baskets and depressurize it and see what i will get, i have a good grinder and machine i suppose, so it is a matter of time and wasted beans to get a decent taste.


If you don't want to mess with modifying a pressurized basket, many people use a Mr. Coffee #4101 non pressurized basket. You'll need to take out the plastic insert in the portafilter for the basket to fit.

Kemo_88

Postby Kemo_88 » May 22, 2018, 11:54 am

Just picked up a spare double shot basket to depressurize it, but found it alittle different than stocke one, there is a little rubber ring inside to hold the main screen inside, the rubber ring is very tight inside if i tried to remove it, it would break., so my question is can this basket perform as real one if depressurized, also what is the best to depressurized it, i was thinking of drilling that tiny hole with 2-3mm bit without removing the entire buttom.
Image
Image

Kemo_88

Postby Kemo_88 » May 22, 2018, 11:59 am

donniedarko wrote:If you don't want to mess with modifying a pressurized basket, many people use a Mr. Coffee #4101 non pressurized basket. You'll need to take out the plastic insert in the portafilter for the basket to fit.


I already have that basker, but i just did not like to remove that plastic insert plus it takes a lot more coffee
Image