I can't dial my grinder for pressurized basket. - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Kemo_88 (original poster)

#11: Post by Kemo_88 (original poster) »

I need someone explain how to measure brew time in this machine.

When i press the shot button the pump starts for 1-2 seconds then paused then start again,, so brew time is total time or the second start time or the paused time shall not be cosidered?

*sigh*

#12: Post by *sigh* replying to Kemo_88 »

You'll get answers that say total time, you'll get others than say start after the pause. Just be consistent. Espresso isn't magically better when pulled in 25-35s, those are just general guidelines to get started and then you can go outside of those parameters, so pick one measurement, shoot for that 25-35s window and just be consistent.

For example, I measure two times on my machine. My machine has a timer that starts when I hit the button, and my scale starts a timer after the first drops. The time is really a better measure to ensure that once you have a shot dialed in that it's pulling consistently, rather than being used as a sign that the shot is good.

mckolit

#13: Post by mckolit »

Yes. My baskets were definitely different from that one. Hopefully you get it to work out and you get to pull great shots with your setup.

#14: Post by Kemo_88 (original poster) »

Last updates....

I lowered the temperature setting to low after i read that bitterness could be from too high temp, and since i am using pressurized baskets i limted my tamp to just push down the coffee untill it is nice and flat, pulled a double shot yesterday and found the bitterness almost gone, i drink a latte, taste was strong and sweet and very delicious without any sugar added,, i loved it so much ....

Today's shot supposed to be exactly the same,, i was really pissed off and frustrated to find the drink watery and weak and has some bitterness,

What is going on ?

#15: Post by Kemo_88 (original poster) »

:evil: why my crema is very bitter ?, it is dark too...

bluesman

#16: Post by bluesman »

I've followed this thread with mixed emotions - but your continued distress makes me want to post a respectful response that I hope you can accept in the spirit in which I offer it. I don't think it's possible to make very good espresso consistently with a pressurized basket. I've bought several such machines over the years for use in my office, with determination to make them work well - and I never succeeded. Even commercial machines costing far in excess of our "prosumer" units fall short when using pressurized baskets. I've had consistently good (but not better than good) espresso from a few very expensive automatics, e.g. in a few Amex Centurion Lounges and the concierge level lounge at the Intercontinental in Singapore. But a good shot from a home machine with a pressurized basket is a random occurrence, as you've observed and described.

To make consistently good espresso, the puck has to be a main determinant of flow rates etc along with temperature & pressure. Grind, dose, puck prep etc should be controlling extraction, but back pressure added by the basket interferes with that. No cone can form with a pressurized basket, and jamming whatever crema is produced through that little outlet dissipates and breaks it up.

I bought those machines because better ones in the office would have been damaged or stolen. All I wanted was a nice shot for a short break between patients (fortunately, Nespresso came along and saved me). If anyone out there has been able to get consistently good espresso from a pressurized basket, please tell us how and with what equipment - I'm sure many would like to find a relatively inexpensive machine for such use. But I've failed for decades in that quest and I simply don't think it's possible with machines in this category. I hope I'm wrong.

happycat

#17: Post by happycat »

Kemo_88 wrote::evil: why my crema is very bitter ?, it is dark too...
<image>
Your machine uses a thermoblock (on demand heating) instead of a boiler. I don't know how stable temperature is which could affect consistency. You might want to try measuring it with the styrofoam cup test (search HB for it)
LMWDP #603

#18: Post by Kemo_88 (original poster) »

Thank you bluesman for your reply..

I know and am well certain of what you say, the thing is, the machine was very good for me since i bought it, i dont know what happened that makes it all of a sudden makes such a bitter espresso, i bought the grinder because whole bean coffee is much cheaper than pre ground coffee and that will save money for me plus the freshness of coffee taste,, i even tried pre ground coffee again to see what is going on and also made a bitter shot,, i use a Carraro beans with 20% robusta beans but i dont think this is the problem..
What could possibly go wrong with the machine to make bitter shots?, the descale led just came on this morning, may be it needs descalling ????, but i use filtered water and i dont think there much of a scale inside..

#19: Post by Kemo_88 (original poster) »

happycat wrote:Your machine uses a thermoblock (on demand heating) instead of a boiler. I don't know how stable temperature is which could affect consistency. You might want to try measuring it with the styrofoam cup test (search HB for it)
It should perform just the same as boiler, it is a heating element with temperature control, the boiler turn on and off too on demand,, just a different technology, in fact i read that thermoblock is better.

bluesman

#20: Post by bluesman »

Kemo_88 wrote:What could possibly go wrong with the machine to make bitter shots?
Not much, I'm afraid. Others have suggested temperature, and it's possible your machine is overheating the water - but it's not likely. One common thing that causes bitterness is a brew path coated with old coffee residue and oils, and descaling won't clean this out. If you haven't cleaned it with backflush detergent, you might benefit from that. You can't actually backflush it unless it has a 3 way solenoid valve, which I don't think it does. But you could probably add 2 teaspoons of powdered cleaner (I use Ascaso, but there are many out there) to a quart of water and run it through the brew path (NOT the steam path!). Follow that with at least 2 quarts of water and you might be pleasantly surprised. Check the owners' manual to be sure this is OK before you do it - I don't know much about your machine.

Clean the group head thoroughly after disassembling it as far as possible. There may also be residue between the layers of the bottom of the PF that would benefit from a long soak in backflush detergent followed by several flushes.