I'm about to throw Silvia out the window! - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
HB
Admin

#31: Post by HB »

sweaner wrote:I have always thought one times from turning on the pump, though I have seen it written both ways.
Re-read Eric's post. Measuring the full flow is necessary because you want to compare it against the factory spec, which is also measuring the full flow. Perhaps you are thinking of the timing of an extraction.
Dan Kehn

Psyd
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by Psyd »

thefly wrote:I have so far been unsuccessful in getting my spout off my PF to build a pressure gauge so I tried this test instead.

My question is, when do I start my timer, when I press the brew button or when water first starts flowing?

To get the spouts off, I usually find a doorway that is somewhat out of the way, possibly and exterior door, and preferably one for a shed of garage that gets a bit of smacking around already. Open the door, and go to the jamb at the back of the door, on the 'outside' (the part where the back of the door opens away from the jamb). Place the spouts between the door and the jamb, and use the door as a great soft wrench, being careful not to apply too much pressure. Remember, you're not trying to squeeze the spouts, just not allowing them to spin out. Use the PF handle to (lefty-loosey, righty-tighty) unscrew the PF from the spouts.

Pay close attention to the instructions that you quoted. The suggestion was that you start the watch at two ounces, and stop it at four. This gives Silvia two ounces to settle in and get to business.
Good luck!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
wfallon

#33: Post by wfallon »

Does anyone know which models or build dates have an adjustable OPV? I have a 2003 build date (so I've been told) arriving tomorrow! Just curious if I'll be able to adjust it at all should I want to...

-Bill

Psyd
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by Psyd »

I remember reading a thread, either here or on CG, where one of the site sponsors that sells Rancilio listed all of the changes from her inception to the 2009 model, including (IIRC) the aftermarket updates available i.e., upgrade your PF, your drip-tray, PIC, etc.
I searched and got nothing, and ransacked the Rocky and Silvia threads, but...
Anyone?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

erics
Supporter ★

#35: Post by erics »

You can see my post here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.coff ... 395b9d1581

The bottom line is that the first instance of the easily adjustable OPV was November 2005.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

thefly

#36: Post by thefly »

Psyd wrote:To get the spouts off, I usually find a doorway that is somewhat out of the way, possibly and exterior door, and preferably one for a shed of garage that gets a bit of smacking around already. Open the door, and go to the jamb at the back of the door, on the 'outside' (the part where the back of the door opens away from the jamb). Place the spouts between the door and the jamb, and use the door as a great soft wrench, being careful not to apply too much pressure. Remember, you're not trying to squeeze the spouts, just not allowing them to spin out. Use the PF handle to (lefty-loosey, righty-tighty) unscrew the PF from the spouts.

Pay close attention to the instructions that you quoted. The suggestion was that you start the watch at two ounces, and stop it at four. This gives Silvia two ounces to settle in and get to business.
Good luck!
I eventually picked up a bench vice (could use one anyways...) and got it off no problem. I then made a pressure gauge which details I will post about in the espresso machines forum.

Thanks

D.Sweet

#37: Post by D.Sweet »

wfallon wrote:Does anyone know which models or build dates have an adjustable OPV? I have a 2003 build date (so I've been told) arriving tomorrow! Just curious if I'll be able to adjust it at all should I want to...

-Bill
The adjustable OPV is really worth the 44 bucks.
I recently put one on my older silvia, and am loving it only a week in! The more i experiment with new beans, the more headaches i was causing myself. In the past i would grind fine, and tamp hard. Recently no matter how hard i have try all of my shots have been channeling.
1 week into the new OPV, and i haven't had any bad channeling at all.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
chuckl

#38: Post by chuckl »

Take a deep breath. It's not that hard, but it does take a little technique. Assuming your Rocky and Silvia are both functioning properly, your variables are going to be grind, temperature and bean freshness. Get fresh beans to eliminate the third variable. Your grind on your Rocky with fresh beans should be 6-8 clicks from the zero point (which for me is at 3, so somewhere between 9 and 11). Give the machine some time to warm up, about 20 minutes should do it. Run some hot water through the steam wand. Turn off the hot water button and turn on the steam button. Let the boiler heat up for about 10 minutes. If you like steamed milk, this is the time. Either way, run about 10 seconds worth of steam through the wand. Detach your portafilter and fill it til it just peaks a little, then level it off with your finger and tap it a couple times to settle. Pull a blank shot and return the portafilter to the proper starting position. Then pull your shot.

chuckl

#39: Post by chuckl »

oops, don't forget to tamp, though not all that hard