Hydroforming tamper

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
tompoland

#1: Post by tompoland »

Interesting new tamper. Non English video but you will get the idea. Also read more here https://dailycoffeenews.com/2022/05/23/ ... sso-craft/
Some people drink coffee to wake up, I wake up to drink coffee.

tompoland (original poster)

#2: Post by tompoland (original poster) »

Explanatory video

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

There's a mega-thread on kaffee-netz - where Espazolla offered the first production run at a discount a couple months ago. I could only read via Google Translate, but the early adopters' impressions left me unimpressed. YMMV.
https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/idro ... ns.144258/
- My espresso: Swirled, not stirred. My pourover: Stirred, not swirled.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by LBIespresso »

If it actually does what it says than this would be a good way to check your pre-tamp puck prep. Good WDT should yield a flat puck, no?

And wouldn't the variable headspace create uneven pressure or flow in the second video?
LMWDP #580

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Seems like a solution looking for a problem. Uniform compaction pressure and an uneven bed doesn't magically result in uniform flow.

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

If it works when forming automobile steel doors in a press, why wouldn't it work on coffee.. :shock:
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 21st Anniversary 2000-2021 *

civ

#7: Post by civ »

Hello:
Jeff wrote: Seems like a solution looking for a problem.
+1
I think it is just another gimmic looking for fool's money. 8^°
Randy G. wrote: If it works when forming automobile steel doors in a press, why wouldn't it work on coffee.
Hmm ...

Most probably because one thing is a uniformly hot rolled sheet of steel under the pressure of two mirror/matching surfaces and the other is a mass of dry coffee grounds under the pressure of two very different surfaces, not to mention the huge difference in the pressures applied in each case.

CIV

tompoland (original poster)

#8: Post by tompoland (original poster) »

Maybe it is the cliched "solution looking for a problem" and maybe I fit into the "fool and his money" category. It's not unusual for innovations to be with dismissed out of hand and sometimes deservedly so.

But I've found from past experience that a meal consisting of "eating my own words" to be quite distastful so I won't pass judgement until I've tried it or at least until the production unti has been independently reviewed by credible reviewers.

There was a small army of knockers dismissing the Decent DE1 concept pre-launch, which James Hoffman now describes as the most infulential development in espresso in the last decade.

civ

#9: Post by civ »

Hello:
tompoland wrote: Maybe it is the cliched "solution looking for a problem" and maybe I fit into the "fool and his money" category.
... not unusual for innovations to be with dismissed out of hand ...
Yes, it sometimes happens.
tompoland wrote: ... won't pass judgement until I've tried it ...
Please do.
tompoland wrote: ... which James Hoffman now describes as the most infulential development in espresso ...
Hoffman ...

Thanks for your comment.

Best,

CIV

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Jeff wrote:Seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Or a problem that's already been solved (WDT, Stockfleth Move, or even a simple finger swipe). I suppose if it's a busy cafe with a barista who doesn't want to bother with "managing the landing" of the coffee or post-grind redistribution, this might offer some improvement.

Another option is not tamping at all, which is the ultimate "hydro" tamp solution.
Dan Kehn