How's my puck's headspace?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
pcrussell50

#1: Post by pcrussell50 »

How does this headspace imprint look? A little bit of the center screw. None of the imprint of the grid from the shower screen.

Or should there be some of the imprint from the screen as well?

The extraction was nice and even as viewed under the bottomless, though a little bit fast. Next one will tighten the grind.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Prescott CR

#2: Post by Prescott CR »

Looks fine really. It's nice and dry?

If you're thinking the screen imprint should be there as well try adding another .5gm dose but - if it tastes good and comes out clean why bother?

Sometimes if you grind a LOT finer you'll be able to fit enough more in the basket that it's worth kicking it up a gram, but if you're just nudging your grinder a little I wouldn't worry about it.
-Richard

BaristaBob

#3: Post by BaristaBob »

pcrussell50 wrote:How does this headspace imprint look? A little bit of the center screw. None of the imprint of the grid from the shower screen.
<image>

Or should there be some of the imprint from the screen as well?

The extraction was nice and even as viewed under the bottomless, though a little bit fast. Next one will tighten the grind.

-Peter
It looks course and very dry...was this ground using your HG-1 or Vario?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

kolu

#4: Post by kolu »

you should check the headspace before extraction, not after.

Tonefish

#5: Post by Tonefish »

I use the NIckel test recommended here.How to evaluate puck to shower screen distance? Just used it today, in fact, after receiving some new VST baskets. Thumbs Up!

Puck dryness depends significantly on how long it's been since extraction and other variables so it doesn't really tell you about headspace even though large headspace will start the dryout wetter, and, except for the imprints which I have never heard used as a gauge.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#6: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

I'm aware of the nickel test only there's a "complication"... I'm also experimenting with not tamping: RDT/grind/WDT/spin one of those distribution tools, (depth-set to my best guess at what the headspace ought to be)/lock/pull.

I feels as if, if I add tamp to the same dose mass, it will increase head space.
BaristaBob wrote:It looks course and very dry...was this ground using your HG-1 or Vario?
It probably looks dry because the photo was taken at least ten minutes after the shot. As for the coarseness, I can't comment. It was ground with Vario with flapper mod (very very fluffy, clump-free grind pile). I've never done much post-shot forensics, (own weakness) but I can imagine that as the shot progresses, the mix of grind sizes will segregate the same way a bag of chips does, where the smaller pieces make their way to the bottom. That shot was a little fast and could/should have been a little tighter.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Tonefish

#7: Post by Tonefish »

pcrussell50 wrote:I'm aware of the nickel test only there's a "complication"... I'm also experimenting with not tamping: RDT/grind/WDT/spin one of those distribution tools, (depth-set to my best guess at what the headspace ought to be)/lock/pull.

I feels as if, if I add tamp to the same dose mass, it will increase head space.
-Peter
Those other techniques you are trying should still support a nickel unless your distribution tool isn't set deep enough.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

BaristaBob

#8: Post by BaristaBob »

pcrussell50 wrote:I'm aware of the nickel test only there's a "complication"... I'm also experimenting with not tamping: RDT/grind/WDT/spin one of those distribution tools, (depth-set to my best guess at what the headspace ought to be)/lock/pull.

It probably looks dry because the photo was taken at least ten minutes after the shot. As for the coarseness, I can't comment. It was ground with Vario with flapper mod (very very fluffy, clump-free grind pile). I've never done much post-shot forensics, (own weakness) but I can imagine that as the shot progresses, the mix of grind sizes will segregate the same way a bag of chips does, where the smaller pieces make their way to the bottom. That shot was a little fast and could/should have been a little tighter.

-Peter
Hey Peter,
I've been experiencing with no tamping as well. Since we operate the same machine, you have one of those "razor" gizmos like I do. Its preset depth is close to 9mm. I set my distribution tool for this same depth...worked okay, but seeing some signs of surface disruption, holes, etc., though time, amount in the cup, and flavor is all good. Today moved tool to 10mm, think this might do the trick. Time will tell.
BTW...yes, your grinds are very fluffy indeed.

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#9: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to BaristaBob »

LOL, I don't even know where my razor/scraper distributing tool is. I've never used it even once.

Now, 10mm, that's 1cm or about the width (give or take) of your pinky finger. That sounds awfully deep, if by that you mean a full 10mm down from the rim of the basket, or the shiny metal part of the tool, the part that fits down into the basket, protruding 10mm out from the black "handle", which rides on the rim of the basket. That sounds awfully deep, unless I'm not correctly visualizing where we are taking the 10mm measurement from.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

BaristaBob

#10: Post by BaristaBob replying to pcrussell50 »

Okay, a picture is worth a thousand words. That's my pinky finger. And, I do have my razor, but never have used it except to check head space every now and then.