How warm do you like your espresso cups? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.

How warm do you like your espresso cups?

Very hot
10%
Hot
42%
Warm
42%
Room temperature
3%
Don't care
3%

Total votes: 142

Celebrian

#11: Post by Celebrian »

(Hi everyone, by the way, I'm new around here :) )

I chose 'hot'.
One of my pet hates is cold coffee. I find that room temperature cups tend to go colder quicker than hot cups (obviously). At work I store cups on the top of our machine, and that heats them up to a pretty decent temperature. At home, my domestic machine doesn't get hot enough, so i warm it with hot water before preparing the shot.
-Alex

woodchuck

#12: Post by woodchuck »

I leave my cups on the warming tray of the VII. I find that is just perfect for me. If I pull a cup from the cabinet then I'll preheat with boiler water first ... Ian

Artisan Plus: complete coffee greens inventory management service
Sponsored by Artisan Plus
Compass Coffee
Sponsor

#13: Post by Compass Coffee »

Voted hot but it's really between the given choices of warm and hot. Cups pre-heated on top of machine (both at home on Bricoletta and Kafe on Linea) then brew temp hot water heated not steam boiler heated during build. Cups quickly wiped dry before shot pulled into them.
Mike McGinness, Head Bean (Owner/Roast Master)
http://www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

Cathi

#14: Post by Cathi »

Hot gets my vote. It became part of my routine when preparing coffee to pre-warm cup and carafe, so for some reason, I continued when pulling shots. The exception would be iced latte's or Americano's. I don't warm the cups then.
Cathi
LMWDP #113

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#15: Post by RapidCoffee »

Voted hot, since I always flush hot water into the cup it prior to pulling a shot. But a couple ounces of hot water in a thick porcelain cup (typically brew water from the HX flush, not steam boiler water from the hot water tap) probably makes it no hotter than the cup warmer.
John

MarkO

#16: Post by MarkO »

Hey all,

Great discussion. For years, while living in DC, the iced americano as prepared by the uber-baristas at murky coffee was my go-to daily drink from March to October. In the colder months, I prefer hot drinks, but since moving to the slightly more balmy North Carolina, I find myself drinking more iced americanos than ever before, even in winter.

Dan has seen me make quite a few of these drinks here in Durham, and I actually experiment with technique quite a bit. I fluctuate between a) adding freshly pulled espresso to a mug of ice water and b) adding espresso to cool water and then adding ice. I've had pretty good success with both methods, and both retain crema and sweetness pretty well. Most of the time, however, I'm more focused on improving my dosing and tamping than anything else. You have to get those techniques right before anything even matters at all.

I must confess to have never measured the temperature of the pre-shot water; nor have I timed how long I let the water stand before adding espresso. Sounds like a good experiment for our Friday morning group, Dan!

Interestingly, in another forum, Sandy Hon of Java Jazz wrote the following in this subject (link):
I actually put together a blind tasting for a couple of my Baristas a couple of weeks ago. The Baristas - one a newbie and the other, a seasoned one.

I prepared the iced drinks like this:

In a tall glass [ingredients added from left to right]

A: cold milk, espresso, (swirl) add ice, swirl.
B: ice, espresso, milk, stir.

Both of them chose A.

They both thought there was a huge difference in flavor. The newbie was actually taken back at the difference.
Take care and happy new year!

Mark
Mark Overbay

narc

#17: Post by narc »

Warm. Why? Not really sure. Cups have always sat on the warming tray. I guess habit & to eliminate another variable assuming cup temp effects taste.. Have not every really done a side-by-side taste test of a cold, warm or hot cup. If cup temp effects taste does warmer temp benefit a certain characteristic of the cup?
LMWDP #151

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
Psyd
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Psyd »

I'd guess hot, but that's a fairly relative term. I pull my flushes into the cups before the shots, and a quick wipe and dry before they get espresso pulled into them. With the Silvia at my GF's place, I fill 'em half way, and stick 'em in the nuker till its very hot, and let 'em sit during the entire prep period. By the time they get espresso into 'em they're just hot*.

*'Hot' is past warm but before uncomfortable. 'Very hot' is uncomfortable. I'd call the transition between the two something like 150F? My cups are probably right at that point.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

zin1953

#19: Post by zin1953 »

I voted "warm," but like many here, it's probably between warm and hot.

On one machine -- my La Val -- I keep four Frabosk double-walled stainless espresso and four Frabosk double-walled stainless cappuccino cups, and saucers, on the warming tray. The timer switches on at 5:00 am, so when I stumble downstairs around 6:00, both the machine and the cups are ready to go.

On my old Gaggia (which I moved from the house to my office), it never stays on long enough to warm up my Bodum Pavona espresso and latte glasses, so I'd pre-heat them a bit, but if I didn't, it wouldn't bother me that much. We'll see what happens when my "new" (used) machine shows up in my office this week . . .

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

quiltmaster

#20: Post by quiltmaster »

Warm- very warm. I like the cups warm to the touch but comfortable to caress. Never thought very much about how cup temp effects taste.... :oops: