How to steam with a vertical positioned steam wand... (Isomac Millenium)

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
strikeraj

#1: Post by strikeraj »

Hi all

I am having trouble creating the vortex to groom the milk on the Isomac Millenium machine, which the steam wand does not swing forward. It has a 2 hole tip. Does anyone have any tip on how to position the wand to I can create the vortex properly?

p.s. I have good success steaming with the Breville Bambino which the wand can be tilted forward.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

It is all in the angle of the pitcher. Try tilting it around 45 degrees.
Dave Stephens

strikeraj (original poster)

#3: Post by strikeraj (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

To my understanding, rather than angle of pitcher vs wand, it is more angle of milk surface vs wand. When the wand is at an angle to the surface of the milk, it will "push" the milk into a vortex. But if I am just tilting the pitcher, the wand is still perpendicular to the liquid itself, and pushing steam to the bottom of the pitcher.

Did I get something wrong in my thought process?

p.s. I did try tilting the pitcher and it was not giving me the nice microfoam as when I tilt the wand...

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Pressino »

I thought that the Isomac Millenium steam wand has a swivel head fitting that allows the wand to be rotated and angled same way as with most other machines. Here is a photo of the replacement wand available from 1st Line:

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/isomac-000680/

Or are you seaying that you prefer to steam milk with the wand perpendicular? If that's the case, you might have better luck with a 4 hole steam tip if yopur machine generates sufficient steam pressure. Or you could try using the Espro Toroid pitcher, which is designed to allow the milk to swirl better with panarello type wands and might work with a vertically positioned wand. Anpother option would be rocking and swirling the pitcher with the wand fixed stright down into the milk.

But I come back to my first point that the Millenium wand should swivel and if not it may need adjustment.

slybarman

#5: Post by slybarman »

torroid pitchers work perfect with the wand vertical in the center of the pitcher.

#6: Post by strikeraj (original poster) »

Pressino wrote:I thought that the Isomac Millenium steam wand has a swivel head fitting that allows the wand to be rotated and angled same way as with most other machines. Here is a photo of the replacement wand available from 1st Line:

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/isomac-000680/

Or are you seaying that you prefer to steam milk with the wand perpendicular? If that's the case, you might have better luck with a 4 hole steam tip if yopur machine generates sufficient steam pressure. Or you could try using the Espro Toroid pitcher, which is designed to allow the milk to swirl better with panarello type wands and might work with a vertically positioned wand. Anpother option would be rocking and swirling the pitcher with the wand fixed stright down into the milk.

But I come back to my first point that the Millenium wand should swivel and if not it may need adjustment.
My Wand is not like that. I have the first generation of Isomac machine where the wand swings left and right only. Unfortunately I dont have room on the side of the machine to steam milk with the wand angled, so I can only place the wand in the vertical position.

Good idea on the 4 hole steam tip and torroid pitcher! I might source one and give that a shot!

exidrion

#7: Post by exidrion »

I have had to figure out hands free steaming, and I found this extremely helpful. Not sure if it'll help you at all but perhaps @ 4min 3 seconds:

#8: Post by strikeraj (original poster) replying to exidrion »

interesting! Thank you, I will give that a shot

CSME9

#9: Post by CSME9 replying to strikeraj »

If that is a photo of your machine, the early millenium steam tip were large 1.5mm two hole tips and was hard to get wet paint textured milk, a replacement smaller single hole tip was avail. Many replaced the larger tip for a smaller one hole tip. if you have the one hole tip it will take a bit longer to steam with less vortex but the milk will texture much better with a 10-12 oz pitcher than with the larger original two hole tip.

#10: Post by strikeraj (original poster) »

CSME9 wrote:If that is a photo of your machine, the early millenium steam tip were large 1mm or 1.2 mm two hole tips and was hard to get wet paint textured milk, a replacement smaller single hole tip was avail. Many replaced the larger tip for a smaller one hole tip. if you have the one hole tip it will take a bit longer to steam with less vortex but the milk will texture much better with a 10-12 oz pitcher than with the larger original two hole tip.
Ah thanks for the advice! That is not my photo but I have the identical machine.
I am actually thinking to get this 4 hole tip. Because with one hole tip, I would need to be able to angle the wand to the surface of the milk, which I cannot at my setup. I will see how the 4 hole tip work at the vertical position.

https://coffeeaddicts.ca/products/faema ... 470f&_ss=r