How to practice latte art without coffee? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
jpender

#11: Post by jpender » Nov 10, 2019, 10:07 pm

It seems like anything brown-water-like would suffice. If not real coffee then something as cheap as possible.

leonelbego
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by leonelbego » Nov 11, 2019, 4:47 am

Thank you all for your kind responses and ideas.

I will try tonight after work with instant coffee and I also saw that with food coloring works as well..... I tried quickly this morning with soy sauce and I most say it doesn't work very well cause the soy is probably a bit too "watery".

Will report again after I tried tonight :)

Thanks,
Leo

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Bluenoser » Nov 11, 2019, 1:26 pm

MB wrote:So, I put a heaping Tablespoon of instant coffee (purchased specifically for this purpose) in a cup and added 27g of water, then steamed it for both the temperature and "crema" head on top (splashy, so maybe better to do in a second pitcher or coffee mug first). Then steamed the milk. I also tried pouring into room temp soy sauce, but that didn't work near as well.

Here's my first quick try with the steamed instant. It poured pretty similar to espresso FWIW.

image
Brilliant about steaming the instant coffee with wand to get crema. Thats worth buying a jar and giving it a try.

leonelbego
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by leonelbego » Nov 11, 2019, 1:43 pm

MB wrote:So, I put a heaping Tablespoon of instant coffee (purchased specifically for this purpose) in a cup and added 27g of water, then steamed it for both the temperature and "crema" head on top (splashy, so maybe better to do in a second pitcher or coffee mug first). Then steamed the milk. I also tried pouring into room temp soy sauce, but that didn't work near as well.

Here's my first quick try with the steamed instant. It poured pretty similar to espresso FWIW.

image
This is amazing!

May I kindly ask for how long do you steam the instant coffee? And how do you exactly do it? I just tried and is extremely difficult to control it? :-/

Thank you again, and that latte art you did there looks great! I can barely do a broken heart, haha!

Leo

User avatar
MB

#15: Post by MB » Nov 11, 2019, 2:04 pm

Yeah, I had a hard time controlling it too. It might be easier with a larger batch in a mug or second steaming pitcher. I did it briefly in the cup you see, trying to ease the toggle control on until I saw a little "crema" forming.

It might be worth trying with heated water instead, no steaming the instant coffee, and one of those spinning wand things usually used for whipping milk, except for whipping the instant coffee. I haven't tried it though.
LMWDP #472

User avatar
spressomon

#16: Post by spressomon » Nov 11, 2019, 2:11 pm

If I was learning the latte art thing all over again...I'd just go find a local barista that knows his/her latte art craft and pay them to teach me. That IMHO is the shortest and quickest learning method. And in the grand scheme of what you/we have invested in all things espresso gear...is darn near close to free.
No Espresso = Depresso

User avatar
yakster
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by yakster » Nov 11, 2019, 2:48 pm

More ideas here including using chocolate syrup.

Latte art practice: espresso substitute?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

leonelbego
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by leonelbego » Nov 11, 2019, 2:49 pm

MB wrote:Yeah, I had a hard time controlling it too. It might be easier with a larger batch in a mug or second steaming pitcher. I did it briefly in the cup you see, trying to ease the toggle control on until I saw a little "crema" forming.

It might be worth trying with heated water instead, no steaming the instant coffee, and one of those spinning wand things usually used for whipping milk, except for whipping the instant coffee. I haven't tried it though.

Thanks again :)

I did actually tried now hearing the instant coffee with the hot water and it actually forms a pretty nice crema :) so no need for steaming.

leonelbego
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by leonelbego » Nov 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

spressomon wrote:If I was learning the latte art thing all over again...I'd just go find a local barista that knows his/her latte art craft and pay them to teach me. That IMHO is the shortest and quickest learning method. And in the grand scheme of what you/we have invested in all things espresso gear...is darn near close to free.

Funny that you mentioned this because last week I did a 2 hours "basic" course with a local barista. It was super good and of course we used all his equipment which it was nice, but obviously now I need to keep practicing home and therefore trying some alternative :)

But yes, I agree with you.

leonelbego
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by leonelbego » Nov 14, 2019, 7:46 am

My technique sucks! But is slowly getting a little better :)

Image