How to make excellent shots with Lavazza Super Crema

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Arpi

#1: Post by Arpi »

Hi fellows!

After many trials an errors I can get now a consistent excellent shot with a wide available bean :) This is what I consider a personal holy grail benchmark since the flavor is addictive for me and makes me go back for more

I got yesterday another bag of Lavazza beans after being successful previously. I went again through all the loops and I've verified what works and what doesn't. First I'll post the detailed measurements and then I'll describe the technique.

Lavazza Super Crema
10-11 grams in single LM basket
205F
extraction time: ~40 seconds
extraction volume 1 Oz

Results: chocolaty taste, mellow, very easy to drink, no brightness. Too weak to drink with milk.

Technique:

I have to use a very fine grind setting to achieve a long extraction time. In my Compak K10WBC I use a setting of 23 perpendicular to the front of the grinder. If I use a bigger setting the chocolaty effect will diminish and I'll get a 27" regular shot. Another important factor is the distribution technique. I have verified it and makes a difference. I use a regular funnel and a colander. I place the colander on top of the funnel and use a brush to push the grounds into the basket. After making a mountain, I flatten it by tapping it against the table. For this I use the double spout tip which gives me a stable point to tap evenly. If I don't use this technique, the flavor is different. This also helps me measure the quantity of coffee before hand and keep a good distribution. I have the coffee measured in a 1/4 cup before getting the portafilter out of the machine and then I dump the grounds into the colander. Temperature will also make a difference. I get better results in the 205F range. I dry the basket with a paper towel.

That's all.

Cheers

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

No offense, but your instructions for excellent shots with Lavazza should start something like: open bag, dump in trash, order fresh beans from an artisan roaster. Really, it will such a difference you will be amazed. I would highly recommend ordering some coffee that has been roasted within a week. Lavazza and Illy spend months in warehouses and shipping containers. I suppose if you live in Italy and are close to the roaster you could probably get some freshly roasted but for the rest of us it has long gone stale.
Dave Stephens

Bushrod

#3: Post by Bushrod »

I didn't want to comment first. :D

My comment would have been something snarky about the $1400 grinder and old, stale beans.
Rich A

LMWDP #131

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Arpi wrote:Results: chocolaty taste, mellow, very easy to drink, no brightness. Too weak to drink with milk.
Have you compared Lavazza against artisan coffees available online? I think you may find freshly roasted coffees available in the US more interesting than "chocolaty taste, mellow, no brightness."
Dan Kehn

Arpi (original poster)

#5: Post by Arpi (original poster) »

well, there is theory and then there is truth. The practical truth is that I get excellent flavor out, so you guys may consider revising your "stale theory" :) That's my explanation :)

Arpi (original poster)

#6: Post by Arpi (original poster) »

I am not saying that fresh beans are bad. Maybe I have a 'personal' predilection for this flavor, that's all.

Bushrod

#7: Post by Bushrod »

Look at the bright side. Your beans are so old and stale that you'll never have to adjust the grinder!
Rich A

LMWDP #131

Arpi (original poster)

#8: Post by Arpi (original poster) »

jeje Look at my bright side, I'll be enjoying my espresso the way I like it most,

Enjoy your fresh beans

Bushrod

#9: Post by Bushrod »

Ha, ha, can't argue with that!

Many, many years ago, I used to buy Lavazza at Three Brothers on Kenilworth Ave. Good times.
Rich A

LMWDP #131

Arpi (original poster)

#10: Post by Arpi (original poster) »

I actually never tried Lavazza till I got the Brewtus in Christmas (it came free). I tried them and didn't like them. I also recommended people to throw them away if they got the new brewtus based on the consensus of the 'staleness theory.' One day, I run out of beans and played with it. Somehow I got lucky that day and that sparked my curiosity and the search for the favorable conditions.

Cheers