How to Increase Chocolate Nutty Flavor - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
aecletec

#11: Post by aecletec »

Sweet chocolate can come out in some coffees especially as ristretto (though I am reminded of a Sumatra and Brazil blend I tried recently which was sweet chocolate and spice in normale), but I think most chocolate descriptors I've read and tasted should rather be cocoa (which is itself quite a variable product).

JmanEspresso

#12: Post by JmanEspresso »

Daves point of whether the flavor exists in the coffee in the first place, is a good point to make. If it isnt there, nothing you do will make it appear.

5 years ago, it would be a little different story. If you said you were using coffee from any of the top end roasters, and it was their main lineup espresso blend.. With all but exact certainty, the parameters/style of shot I outlined would work no problem to extract a Chocolate/Cocoa/Caramel/Spice laden, thick, rich shot of espresso. Why? Because 5 years ago, almost all the top end roasters had their flagship/main espresso blend as a bass note heavy, very rich, very decadent, shot of espresso.

Today, with what is available as espresso, the question of whether or not chocolate is even present in the coffee, is not only relevant.. but it should have been the first thing I asked you... What coffee are you using? Today, you can buy the main blend from ten different roasters, and literally have espresso shots from each of the blends that nearly span the entire flavor range of what tastes good as espresso. From thick, heavy, rich, chocolate/caramel bombs, to light, delicate, floral, more acidic Fruitbomb espresso, and everything in between.

With the right blend, my parameters will produce a thick, rich, decadent shot of espresso every single time. I know because I spent a long time pulling shots like that, with no change, on many of the popular chocolate bomb/chocolate heavy blends. With the wrong blend, it will produce some of the most vile liquid you could make from a coffee bean.

So, it depends on what coffee you're using.