How to get dry foam from small quantity of milk?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
James Mulryan

#1: Post by James Mulryan »

If you want really dry foam, do you have to foam a larger quantity of milk and then pull the top off with a spoon? Using 84 grams of whole milk for my cappuccinos. 38 G espresso-- 8 oz pitcher instant read thermometer 150 degrees with HX machine. Tip just below surface, Can't get light foam. Is this because I am using such a small amount of milk to begin with? I also have a Gaggia Classic with pannarello wand-- getting lots more foam with small quantities of milk. Pondering "porting" a pannarello wand onto my HX machine-- know this is a wacky idea, but actually prefer the pannarello foam.

jyl

#2: Post by jyl »

Do you mean the stiff foam like what tops a cappuccino?

I make that all the time, without trying too, when I'm trying to make microfoam instead. Let's see - keep tip too high, blow in too much air, make bubbles, and dry foam seems to come naturally.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

Stretch the milk longer and hotter.
No Espresso = Depresso

GreenEggsAndSam

#4: Post by GreenEggsAndSam »

Try adding a bunch of air into your foam, then putting the pitcher (foam, milk, and all) into the fridge while you grind, tamp, and pull your shot. In the time it takes to brew your espresso, the foam will have stiffened up considerably, but the temperature of the milk itself shouldn't have changed much at all. This will let you use more of your steam than you might have been able to before.

Almico

#5: Post by Almico »

You'll waste more milk trying to get the right foam with too little milk than too much.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mgwolf »

Use a very small pitcher (8 oz or so) and look into getting a smaller steam tip (fewer and/or smaller diameter holes).