How to get a big cuppa joe? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Nunas »

If you're set on Breville, IMHO you'd be better off with the infuser and a separate grinder. I had a bunch of Breville Baristas and no two were alike...had lots of grinder problems.

audio-a (original poster)

#12: Post by audio-a (original poster) »

I might get shot for asking this... can I steam the (soy)milk directly in the mug I plan to drink from? Do I have to use a stainless steel jug?

Advertisement
kmw

#13: Post by kmw replying to audio-a »

I wouldn't. I've read about glass shattering and (soy)milk shooting out of the cup.

audio-a (original poster)

#14: Post by audio-a (original poster) replying to kmw »

good to know...

canuckcoffeeguy

#15: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Better to steam in a separate pitcher. a) you'll get better steamed milk. b) you'll avoid a milk explosion. C) you'll avoid making your cup too hot. D) You'll be able to pour the steamed milk onto your espresso.

You don't want to pour espresso onto steamed milk. That would be like pouring a vat of hot oil onto potatoes to make French fries. Ok, I don't know if that's the best analogy. But you get the idea ;) good luck!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#16: Post by cannonfodder »

Do it all the time in my to-go mug but that is not glass. I have steamed directly in a coffee mug many times without issue. If you use a glass container it could crack from thermal shock but a ceramic mug should not be an issue.
Dave Stephens

Intrepid510

#17: Post by Intrepid510 »

If you like a big cup of coffee, why not just buy a coffee maker? :roll: