How to find private espresso lessons?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
razor488

#1: Post by razor488 »

I am to the point where I dial in shots to not be bitter or sour, but not sure if I am maximizing the sweet spot (pushing the taste out to the right according to the Espresso Compass). Would a private espresso lesson with my own equipment be the best way to improve my skills? I am located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area but not sure how to find someone like this.

harris

#2: Post by harris »

Finding a private espresso teacher has crossed my mind more than once lately. I'm about an hour northwest of Chicago but I'll be following your progress with great interest. Thanks for posting.

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

Easiest way is likely to find someone here who lives close enough to spend a day with you or ask baristas at shops you feel comfortable with what their day off is and are they willing to spend a day with you.

Ira

SandraF

#4: Post by SandraF »

I took an online class with Clive Coffee. It included a 1 hr. Zoom type lesson with the instructor. I didn't take advantage of that aspect, but apparently it's very good & helpful.

Personally, if I were a barista & some random customer offered me money to come to their place to teach, in this day and age, I would not accept. Honestly, would you?

TallDan

#5: Post by TallDan »

harris wrote:Finding a private espresso teacher has crossed my mind more than once lately. I'm about an hour northwest of Chicago but I'll be following your progress with great interest. Thanks for posting.
Keep your eye out for the next "Chicago/Milwaukee/NW Indiana" meetup over in the cafe and get together section. (If you're not already aware of it.) I learned some and had fun at the last one. I think the next one is supposed to be in the spring, maybe in Rockford?

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

Larger roasters, who sell to restaurants and cafes, do so by demoing their coffees. This means they have brewing and espresso labs. Many offer classes, in the Chicago area, Intelligentisa, Metropolis, and Ipsento all did at one time or another and may still do so. In SoCal, Klatsch does so. Goofgling will turn up more.

In the Chicago area, I'm willing and cheap. If you want to come over and learn, make out a time and buy me dinner.
Jim Schulman

harris

#7: Post by harris »

TallDan wrote:Keep your eye out for the next "Chicago/Milwaukee/NW Indiana" meetup over in the cafe and get together section. (If you're not already aware of it.) I learned some and had fun at the last one. I think the next one is supposed to be in the spring, maybe in Rockford?

Thanks for the heads-up, I wasn't aware of the meetups.

harris

#8: Post by harris »

another_jim wrote:Larger roasters, who sell to restaurants and cafes, do so by demoing their coffees. This means they have brewing and espresso labs. Many offer classes, in the Chicago area, Intelligentisa, Metropolis, and Ipsento all did at one time or another and may still do so. In SoCal, Klatsch does so. Goofgling will turn up more.

In the Chicago area, I'm willing and cheap. If you want to come over and learn, make out a time and buy me dinner.
Wow, willing and cheap? Sold. I will PM after the New Year to figure out a time. Thank you.

Dkpack99

#9: Post by Dkpack99 »

Hey Harris & Jim.... If possible, Maybe I could join in the mini "class"! Also in Chicagoland and would love to get started "the right" way into espresso!

Dave P.

another_jim
Team HB

#10: Post by another_jim »

The more the merrier; PM me after the New Year and we'll set something up.
Jim Schulman