How to do equivalent brew with set brew recipe?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
EstoCuppo
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by EstoCuppo »

I am currently subscribed to La Marzocco's Espresso Subscription. This months roaster is a place called Bean & Bean. Their brew parameters are as follows:

Dose: 19 grams
Time: 19-21 seconds
Yield: 60 grams
Temperature: 199°F
Pressure: 5 bar
Preinfusion: 1.5 Seconds

My question is that if I am using a Linea Mini, how do I do an equivalent flavor profile given I am constrained to a 9 bar machine and having limited preinfusion? I can play around with temperature but not others. Can I ever get this recipe right? Or do I need to upgrade to a GS3 Manual?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Judging from the parameters, that looks like a typical approach to a medium-light or light roast on a machine without pressure profiling. I would suggest adjusting your brew pressure down to 5 bars (bypass valve on the rotary pump) and ignoring the 1.5-second preinfusion if you don't have the option within the Linea Mini or you are not plumbed in.

Don't be alarmed if it is a messy-looking shot. It will likely be flowing 2-3 times faster than you are used to. That isn't channeling if it is even. The grind will probably be coarser than you might expect to use for a classic espresso from a medium-dark roast.

EstoCuppo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by EstoCuppo (original poster) »

I would suggest adjusting your brew pressure down to 5 bars
I was trying to avoid this scenario actually since I would have to open the machine and adjust the internals. Is there a way to stay at the 9 bar and get the same shot/flavor?

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Unfortunately no.

Grind, pressure, puck thickness, and flow rate all work together. You can't be off by nearly a factor of two on one of them and hope to be at roughly the same operating point.

That recipe is very similar to what April uses on their Modbar when pulling shots of their light-roast coffees. In my experience, 4-6 bars is a common range for those who regularly work with light-roast espresso. If you're regularly pulling medium-light and lighter roasts, you may find you prefer the lower pressure all the time. Hendon, et. al., suggested lowering extraction pressure even for "cafe" espresso.

I don't know where the adjustment is on the Linea Mini, but it was around five-minutes' work on the Micra.

Fitz454

#5: Post by Fitz454 »

EstoCuppo wrote:I am currently subscribed to La Marzocco's Espresso Subscription. This months roaster is a place called Bean & Bean. Their brew parameters are as follows:

Dose: 19 grams
Time: 19-21 seconds
Yield: 60 grams
Temperature: 199°F
Pressure: 5 bar
Preinfusion: 1.5 Seconds

My question is that if I am using a Linea Mini, how do I do an equivalent flavor profile given I am constrained to a 9 bar machine and having limited preinfusion? I can play around with temperature but not others. Can I ever get this recipe right? Or do I need to upgrade to a GS3 Manual?
There is a thread in the coffee section which discusses the monthly La Marzocco subscription. Having a Micra, I asked the same question. Some people tried different variations but it is a nice thread to keep up on if you continue your subscription.
★ Helpful