How (or) do you log your espresso shots? - Page 6

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
xandmann (original poster)

#51: Post by xandmann (original poster) »

To anyone who is using Espresso Log...
I'm thinking of add in a "Statistics" feature to the app...

What kind of coffee related stats that would you like to see?

JamesPearson

#52: Post by JamesPearson replying to xandmann »

Hi, I was looking for a way to record my espresso brewing and stumbled across your post about your app. However, I'm unable to find it on the app store and the link you posted doesn't appears to work in iTunes (says the app is not available in US or UK stores). Any help would be appreciated please - looks great!

xandmann (original poster)

#53: Post by xandmann (original poster) replying to JamesPearson »

Thank you for the interest in the App!

When I started this thread there was an iOS App, since then I started a new thread but it got merged with the old one...
The application Espresso Log has now moved to the Android ecosystem and is a free app now...

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... og.android

/Alex

Qporzk

#54: Post by Qporzk »

For stats, I'd like:

- Coffee consumed per day/week/month
- Average brew time/dose/yield
- Amount of coffee that's been ground
- highest rated coffee/recipe

I've also got some more thoughts after using this for a while. I still find that there is too much to choose from on the flavor while rating thing, and find myself just using the notes. I would definitely use either a customizable wheel, or one that just had sweetness, bitterness, and acidity on it. I also think some kind of simple rating slider from 1 to 10 would be nice to quickly rank the overall shot quality.

One more note: I got the cheap bluetooth scale we discussed previously, and it has been working fine for me. Occasionally it will drift a tenth of a gram or 2, but not enough to cause concern. It reads plenty fast, but the app it works with is AWFUL. So, hopefully you'll find time someday to try it out and integrate it :D

kayintveen

#55: Post by kayintveen »

I am not able to download the app on the IOS app store. is it still there? would love to join the beta test.

DamianWarS

#56: Post by DamianWarS »

xandmann wrote:I would say it is very important and I (we) are trying really hard to fix problems most of the time within days, and add requested features (when possible).

However, Espresso Log was built for Android 10 (API 29) and downgrading the required API level is not like flipping a switch...it would require heavy alterations in the source, and considerable time for testing...

The intended use of Espresso Log is to connect to several Bluetooth sensors at the same time and display continuous live data, make on the fly heavy calculations on large datasets etc. so it requires a somewhat "up-to-date" phone... otherwise as I stated before the user experience would suffer to a degree that is unacceptable...
I know development of a new app is not a great answer but perhaps identifying key features of the app and then making a lite version that is compatible with earlier verses of android might be an option.

dsc106

#57: Post by dsc106 »

Check out Bean Beast for iOS

Seattlegrognard

#58: Post by Seattlegrognard »

Thanks for the suggestion on Bean Beast. Being able to log shots on my iPhone means I am actually likely to do it! I hope enough others find it useful as well; more users may mean more updates...

james.scicluna

#59: Post by james.scicluna »

What's the name of the app and is it available in Canada?

Rice Bowl

#60: Post by Rice Bowl »

I just keep info jotted down quickly in a notebook I keep in the drawer underneath were my coffee stuff is. Name of bean (if I'm switching around between a few different ones), weight ground, grind setting, prep steps (RDT or no? WDT, PID set temp, if PI how long? total brew time/output), then notes on taste.