How (or) do you log your espresso shots? - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#41: Post by baldheadracing »

Is it possible to export one's own data? I saw something about csv's, but that was only for BT data I think.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Qporzk

#42: Post by Qporzk »

xandmann wrote:Thanx for the offer with the protocol but it would be double work for me...
I have to have a physical device in my lab for extensive testing before I can even consider adding it to the "production code".
Gotcha, that totally makes sense. My friend has a mechanic's garage and always says, "It costs x for me to fix it, 1.5x for you to watch, and 2x if you want to help"

xandmann (original poster)

#43: Post by xandmann (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:Is it possible to export one's own data? I saw something about csv's, but that was only for BT data I think.
Most of the data is exportable and/or shareable (including Bluetooth sensor data, logs, coffee beans etc), by Mail, SMS, Instagram or CSV.
Say you have a coffee bean you would like to share, select the beans, tap Share in the "more" menu, Espresso Log will create a .elog file that you can send to your friend that can be imported directly into the app.

You can also export the SQLite databases that are the "heart" of Espresso Log.
Go to Settings and tap Identifier > Export Databases
After export they will be placed in [Internal Storage]/Android/data/se.aleon.espressolog.android/files/Exports/

DamianWarS

#44: Post by DamianWarS »

xandmann wrote:Thank you for the info, that is what Espresso Log does (and a bit more)... but digitally...

However just to clarify, because you commented on a really old message, since than I started a new thread but it got merged with the old one...
The application Espresso Log has moved to the Android ecosystem and is a free app now...
It looks great... but I don't have Android 10 (or a phone that supports it) so until then... pen and paper.

Eggywontgrow

#45: Post by Eggywontgrow »

I've made a Google questionare, and everytime I make a shot I fill this in.

It includes questions about the brewing (grinder, ratio, profile, duration, beans), and the taste (overall, balance, body, aroma, notes).

It's set up so that all questions are multiple choice, like which bean or profile. Otherwise they are simple numeric answers entered with a slider. Or things like flavor/aroma are rated 1-5 stars. All in all it is super easy and fast to fill in.

All of that is automatically added to a excel sheet that I enjoy making graphs/relationships from.

I've even sent the link to guests sometimes so they could fill it in themselves (the flavor part).

belegnole

#46: Post by belegnole »

DamianWarS wrote:It looks great... but I don't have Android 10 (or a phone that supports it) so until then... pen and paper.
I'm in the same boat. Unfortunate that the app only works with the newest phones.
LMWDP #641

sorcerer

#47: Post by sorcerer »

xandmann wrote:Well, actually Android 10 is the second most popular android version. As of May 2020 more than 18% of Android devices are running it...
I agree but, from what I gather, Android 9 still has about 35% market share and even Android 8 is above 7%. Personally, I would allow more people to install it to get some traction and gradually phase out older versions as people move to newer versions but it's, of course, your call to make. I just see it as a missed opportunity :)

Like others here, I'd love to give this a try and possibly get rid of my nasty spreadsheet but I have an HTC 10 which hasn't been updated since Android 8.0.0 which I'd rather not root in order to install a custom Android 10 ROM since it still runs great with HTC's stock ROM and kernel. I'd also rather spend my money on a new espresso machine to replace my current cheap one than on a new phone that will run Android 10.

#48: Post by xandmann (original poster) »

sorcerer wrote:I agree but, from what I gather, Android 9 still has about 35% market share and even Android 8 is above 7%. Personally, I would allow more people to install it to get some traction and gradually phase out older versions as people move to newer versions but it's, of course, your call to make. I just see it as a missed opportunity :)

As a developer, sometimes one has to make some calls that aren't going to be appreciated by everyone or make sense...unless you are involved in the approximately 2 year long process it took to create Espresso Log.

Espresso Log (and the upcoming web portal) are still under heavy development, but in any case I (we) have tested the application in a number of scenarios with a large number of phone types, screen sizes, CPUs etc. Unfortunately the user experience, just isn't the same on older phones (for various technical reasons).

Freddofl

#49: Post by Freddofl »

xandmann wrote: As a developer, sometimes one has to make some calls that aren't going to be appreciated by everyone or make sense...unless you are involved in the approximately 2 year long process it took to create Espresso Log.

Espresso Log (and the upcoming web portal) are still under heavy development, but in any case I (we) have tested the application in a number of scenarios with a large number of phone types, screen sizes, CPUs etc. Unfortunately the user experience, just isn't the same on older phones (for various technical reasons).
This is all true but being somewhat receptive to user and potential customer feedback is also important.

#50: Post by xandmann (original poster) replying to Freddofl »

I would say it is very important and I (we) are trying really hard to fix problems most of the time within days, and add requested features (when possible).

However, Espresso Log was built for Android 10 (API 29) and downgrading the required API level is not like flipping a switch...it would require heavy alterations in the source, and considerable time for testing...

The intended use of Espresso Log is to connect to several Bluetooth sensors at the same time and display continuous live data, make on the fly heavy calculations on large datasets etc. so it requires a somewhat "up-to-date" phone... otherwise as I stated before the user experience would suffer to a degree that is unacceptable...