How (or) do you log your espresso shots? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
ben8jam

#11: Post by ben8jam »

TomC wrote:Here's a good reference! :lol:

<video>
How does he come to pull a 1:3 ratio in 53 seconds? What was his decision to keep it going and why stop at 53 seconds and not 40 or 30 seconds? I'm stuck in stop at 30 because I don't know what else to stop at.

jpatrickramos

#12: Post by jpatrickramos replying to ben8jam »

It sounds like he is running lower pressure to the group head, something I too found works well for my tastes on my MeCoffee PID controlled Silvia.
You may not have caught it, but he start with about 3bar of line pressure for preinfusion, then 5 or 6 bars for most of the show, and then reaches back to the wall to dial things back to about 3 bars for the end.

I personally like 21g of grounds in a 20g VST basket, with the flow rate turned down to pull a 40g shot between 37 to 41 seconds or so, not including five seconds of pre-infusion time.

In order to do this, I start at 98% at the start tapering to 60% at the end. Accomplishes very similar things as in in the video, with a declining pressure profile. All on a vibe pump Silvia, mind you!

Advertisement
xandmann (original poster)

#13: Post by xandmann (original poster) »

Released a week ago, still work in progress. Would appreciate feedback.
PM me for Promo Code (to download for free) if you are interested in trying the App.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/espress ... 1372492199

AkshayRao27

#14: Post by AkshayRao27 »

Is an Android version in the works? Would love to take it for a spin!

#15: Post by xandmann (original poster) replying to AkshayRao27 »

Sounds great, but unfortunately, that is (much) further down the line...

[creative nickname]

#16: Post by [creative nickname] »

I cannot see anywhere to enter cupping info in the app? Only espresso shot pulling parameters.

OK I see, you have to enter data for a pulled shot first? That is weird. The form is not designed to rate shot quality. Shouldn't there be a setting designed around cupping protocols??
LMWDP #435

#17: Post by xandmann (original poster) »

[creative nickname] wrote:OK I see, you have to enter data for a pulled shot first? That is weird.
Whether you pull the shot or someone else, you stil need a reference of what it is in your cup and how it was made...
therefore it is the first thing you need to enter not the other way around.
[creative nickname] wrote:The form is not designed to rate shot quality. Shouldn't there be a setting designed around cupping protocols??
The form contains all the SCA cupping attributes...
Would you elaborate on what you mean?

Advertisement
AkshayRao27

#18: Post by AkshayRao27 »

xandmann wrote:Sounds great, but unfortunately, that is (much) further down the line...
Ah well. I don't own any Apple devices :(
Sucks. Would've liked to try this out!

HB
Admin

#19: Post by HB »

A point of clarification:
xandmann wrote:Released a week ago, still work in progress. Would appreciate feedback.
PM me for Promo Code (to download for free) if you are interested in trying the App.
The site's terms of service include "no commercial posts". Since your app isn't free, presumably you make money from sales, which means your post qualifies as commercially motivated. Moderators let it slide when you originally posted as a goodwill promotional thread since you were only asking for feedback. Now that it's actually for sale, that leniency has ended. If you offer a promo code to any member who asks without the requirement that they provide something in return, I will make an exception.
Dan Kehn

#20: Post by xandmann (original poster) »

Hello Everyone!

I have recently released a free Android App for tracking espresso shots, would really appreciate some feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... og.android

/Alex