How necessary is WDT?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
fliz

#1: Post by fliz »

I've been using a blind tumbler that I sorta turn into a blind shaker by using a mason jar lid. A few vertical shakes, followed by a few horizontal shakes and a tap on my tampinp mat before setting on my baskets, pulling the plug giving another tap and using my leveling distribution tool.

I fawn over the the Londinium distribution tool whenever I see one, but is that an additional step to my workflow that will really make a difference? I already have a funmel that fits my basket that I currently don't use.

If yes, is the Londinium one actually better than a paperclip? What if a stuck 3 paper clips in a pepper shakers and made little circles on the ends with a pair of needle nose pliers?

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

If you are doing shaking, and using a lever machine, than WDT isn't strictly necessary at all. You are doing something similar to what I do and I frequently skip it.

A fancy tool might look prettier, and even maybe save you a second or so, but I doubt it will actually work better than a paperclip, or any other handy thin object.

belegnole

#3: Post by belegnole »

WDT is not necessary at all.

It can however be of help to the home barista in getting a better pour.

It is most definitely one part of the voodoo ritual that many here partake in on a daily basis.
LMWDP #641

fliz (original poster)

#4: Post by fliz (original poster) »

I'm using a Mypressi Twist. I do a partial trigger pull to preinfuse the puck before pulling the trigger completely once the basket screen has filled in and the first drops are in my cup.

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by daveR1 »

After a lot of back & forth with the same coffees, I found this:
WDT never improved my shots with my Sette 270Wi
Definite improvements with my Niche

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

My prep is very simple with my levers, mostly the Robot now. I dial my old ceramic burr Vario down to espresso range and grind into the grinds basket. I shake the grinds and pour into the filter, shake the basket to get it roughly level and then tamp. I may nutate a bit if it doesn't look all that level, but not always. Works for me.

The only problem I run into is forgetting to reset the Vario to my previous settings and then accidentally grinding 50 grams at the espresso setting the next morning when I'm getting ready to brew a pot.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mhpchan

#7: Post by mhpchan »

I also use the blind shaker in my workflow. It could be my technique but previously, I was getting occasional spritzers when using a bottomless portafilter. After the shaker, it seems to have been more consistent extractions without channeling. Would highly suggest a bottomless PF for diagnosing your extractions. That'll tell you if your workflow may/may not benefit from WDT.

fliz (original poster)

#8: Post by fliz (original poster) »

I pull my shots bottomless with an IMS basket. I never have channeling issues and the extractions look even.

I guess this means WDT isn't necessary in my situation?

Neto

#9: Post by Neto »

I would say that WDT is absolutely necesary if you have clumps when you grind beans. If you dont get clumps I would still use a distribution tool before tamping.

Nate42

#10: Post by Nate42 »

fliz wrote:I pull my shots bottomless with an IMS basket. I never have channeling issues and the extractions look even.

I guess this means WDT isn't necessary in my situation?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. WDT is intended to break up clumps and improve distribution problems that can lead to channeling or poor extraction. If it looks good and tastes good, its good.