How much time does your morning espresso routine require? - Page 7

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.

How much time does your morning espresso routine require?

More than 30 minutes
9%
25-30 minutes
11%
20-25 minutes
7%
15-20 minutes
11%
10-15 minutes
31%
Less than 10 minutes
32%

Total votes: 160

DigMe

#61: Post by DigMe »

malachi wrote:Yup.

Next time you're about to pull some shots... run water through the group and portafilter (empty) into a demi. Taste it. Mmm... mmm... good. Right? That's what your coffee is made of.

Yeah, I clean my machine every day. For good reason.
I do a quick scrub with a pallo tool and backflush with water every day and I wipe down and blow out my steaming arm but there is no way I would have time every morning to do everything you're doing. I have to be at work by about 7:40 (teacher).

EDIT: I just went and pulled some water from the machine since I've already completed my morning routine as described above. The water was fine. For someone that is only pulling 2 to 3 shots a day backflushing with water with an occasional detergent flush (I do it every week or two) is just fine.

brad

Psyd

#62: Post by Psyd »

DigMe wrote:I do a quick scrub with a pallo tool and backflush with water every day and I wipe down and blow out my steaming arm but there is no way I would have time every morning to do everything you're doing.
For someone that is only pulling 2 to 3 shots a day backflushing with water with an occasional detergent flush (I do it every week or two) is just fine.
My daily routine includes a PF wiggle, and a water backflush. I clean the PF and baskets when I clean the milk pitcher, and then wipe down the entire front surface of the machine with a microfibre rag while doing a quick water backflush. Once every ten shots or so, I'll take pallo brush to the group heads (more often if I think they need it) and once every fifty or seventy-five shots I'll do a detergent backflush and clean the driptray/cup heater tray. Still quite a fair bit more frequent than any commercial machine, and yet, not quite so anal/compulsive as some that have posted here.
This represents enough PM to keep the machine sparkling (I look, and the PF's and the groups look shiny brass/SS/nickel and there are not grounds in a flushing pull) and not make the monthly (or thereabouts) cleaning a huge chore.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Fullsack

#63: Post by Fullsack »

My routine is on the long side. I am a fanatic about getting the grinder clean and usually get about a gram of left over coffee out of the grinder after each cleaning. In using only a single 14 gram dose each session, there is a fair chance of that a good portion of the next shot will contain a lot of old grinds, if the grinder still has a gram of old coffee remaining in it.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

Bex

#64: Post by Bex »

Depends on what you want to call the morning routine. First thing when I wake up, I go down to the kitchen and pull a shot (thank you, Intermatic timer, and thank you to the people here who suggested it!). That's roughly a five minute affair from start to the completion of cleanup.

However, the breakfast routine involves making a mocha for my wife and a latte for me to take on the drive to work. On the Carezza, if I want to build these drinks with a double shot & 8 ounces of milk for each, this means grinding, pulling a shot, steaming the milk, grinding, pulling a shot, steaming the milk, and then cleaning up. All in all it's around 15 minutes, but that's okay, because it's just part of the normal breakfast chaos.