How much time does your morning espresso routine require? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.

How much time does your morning espresso routine require?

More than 30 minutes
9%
25-30 minutes
11%
20-25 minutes
7%
15-20 minutes
11%
10-15 minutes
31%
Less than 10 minutes
32%

Total votes: 160

luca
Team HB

#21: Post by luca »

another_jim wrote:... what the heck are you slowpokes doing?
I'm using a single-boiler machine! Man, I'd love to see how long it takes with a HX at home ... temperature surfing and then waiting for steam really is a PITA; sort of like holding a portafilter for an M3 ;P

Does anyone grind the bulk of what they need into their doser, then dose it all and top up a bit, or is everyone standing there clicking 45 billion times?

Cheers,

Luca

okaychatt

#22: Post by okaychatt »

Psyd wrote:When I am behind the counter, there is no yammering. Yammerrers will be told to leave, with a curt, "No coffee for you!"
They will not be allowed back until they have apologized (at a slow time of the day) and brought some sort of muffin-ey or chocolat-ey offering, and much prostration and self-flaggelation.
Been studying old Seinfeld episodes, I see.
Kay

Advertisement
kbuzbee

#23: Post by kbuzbee »

Well, I answered the highest value allowed but realistically it's 1 1/2 hours... Now this time isn't all high production. Like many here I poke through the process... trying blends... adjusting grinds etc.

Start by making my wife's Cona Pot and toast. During this the LaPa is warming up as is an Illy cup in a pan of warm water... Once the coffee & toast are delivered I select a blend and dose into the Zass... 110 or so cranks later I bleed off the steam wand and load the pf for the first of three shots... During this the morning news is on to check the weather and a few threads from here and cg are read... Overall the time frame is 1 - 1 1/2 hours allotted for "coffee" which includes a few additional components... After that period the day begins...

Ken
LMWDP #054

Psyd

#24: Post by Psyd »

okaychatt wrote:Been studying old Seinfeld episodes, I see.
Just the ones with important life lessons. ; >
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

k7qz

#25: Post by k7qz »

kbuzbee wrote:Overall the time frame is 1 - 1 1/2 hours allotted for "coffee" which includes a few additional components... After that period the day begins...

Ken
Ken, I want a job where you work! If only... 1- 1 1/2 in the morning for coffee... :lol: :wink:

kbuzbee

#26: Post by kbuzbee »

Retirement is a great thing. You ache a lot more than you used to but there are many blessings as well.

Ken
LMWDP #054

HB (original poster)
Admin

#27: Post by HB (original poster) »

luca wrote:Does anyone grind the bulk of what they need into their doser, then dose it all and top up a bit, or is everyone standing there clicking 45 billion times?
I'm a medium-speed thwacker. If the grinder is dialed in perfectly, I'll brush grinds back into the doser to reduce waste, but otherwise it's only to-order.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Compass Coffee

#28: Post by Compass Coffee »

luca wrote:I'm using a single-boiler machine! Man, I'd love to see how long it takes with a HX at home ... temperature surfing and then waiting for steam really is a PITA; sort of like holding a portafilter for an M3 ;P

Luca
5-1/2min for straight shot or Americano from time grabbing jar-o-beans to measure into grinder to finished cleanup, including HX cooling flush and temp surf for shot and after shot group flush-PF wiggle and water only back flush and PF just off boil rinse and dry. 7min for cap' including clean up (clean up taking a bit longer for cap of course.) That's starting steaming immediately after starting the shot pull with the Bric'. When making multiple drinks time per goes down... I DO NOT miss Miss Silvia! :wink:
Mike McGinness

cannonfodder
Team HB

#29: Post by cannonfodder »

With the Cimbali, I thwack the lever much faster than my mini. I find that pulling that doser lever rapidly helps to cut down on clumping. When I get to work and grind a shot in the mini, I have to remember not to pull the doser so fast. It usually reminds me by tossing grinds all over my table.

As HB does, I grind to order unless I am pulling multiple back to back shots. Then I will level over the doser and re-use. If it will be more than a minute between shots then the excess goes into the knock box.

One of the wonderful things about having a commercial machine is the shot vs. steam time. I get my milk ready, grind my shot, flush and go. Then grab my pitcher and steam. My milk and shot are finished at almost the same instant. Boy do I love big boilers (until I get the electric bill :shock: ).
Dave Stephens

Compass Coffee

#30: Post by Compass Coffee »

For the heck of it just timed making Debi and I caps. Each a double shot (SO caps of Sumatra Volkopi this time) and milk for each steamed separately (3oz milk in 12oz pitchers, have two 12oz pitchers specifically for making two back to back caps). While I'll often finish cleanup later, specifically the washing rinsing and drying of the two SS steaming pitchers, I included even that so it'd be a timing of being totally ready to go again. Also included my normal grouphead flush and PF blank wiggle between shots, PF just off boiling water rinse and dry between shots, grouphead flush wiggle and water only back flush at the end and of course steamwand cleaning and steam flush. Total time from hitting timer start button before opening cupboard to begin 12:09.
Mike McGinness