How much time does your morning espresso routine require? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.

How much time does your morning espresso routine require?

More than 30 minutes
8%
25-30 minutes
11%
20-25 minutes
7%
15-20 minutes
11%
10-15 minutes
31%
Less than 10 minutes
32%

Total votes: 159

Paul L

#11: Post by Paul L »

For the record, I proved to myself today that a 10 minute routine is possible but, you know, we spend too much time rushing through daily life and coffee is something I guess I like to slow down for and connect with rather than speed through it going through the motions. I think as well that when you're learning, you should take your time to think about what is happening and the approach you're taking with the variables.
Coffeetime (UK) Greens Club
http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/

papalatte

#12: Post by papalatte »

11 or 12 min. (2 doubles first thing) That's about it for me........ Maybe I'm not as focused as some folks....... but then I don't want to be...... my espresso bar is my little place. I keep it clean and neat no one but me goes there. I guess I doodle a little there........ :D I love to make espresso, cappuccinos or lattes for people, but I take my time....... That's my story and I'm sticking to it....... :lol:

Skip

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

OK, I get it; everyone needs to dawdle at some point in the day. I just prefer doing that cappa in hand.
Jim Schulman

Psyd

#14: Post by Psyd » replying to another_jim »

Friggin' morning person. Go figger!

In the AM, I set the alarm for a half hour earlier if I'm gonna make coffee before I go, and I usually have the time to make a coupla cappas, clean up, and drink mine before I have to go out the door. So, from pouring milk into the pitcher to go into the freezer (the first thing I do) to the bottom of the cup is just under a half hour without rushing. I've put up a coupla cappas in a rush, and I'm sure both of them were being drunk in under ten minutes. Sometimes I use both groups, if I'm in a hurry, but cleaning two PF's takes a bit longer, so...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

VS_DoubleShot

#15: Post by VS_DoubleShot »

I must say, I hardly ever do this in the morning. I usually make drinks after work so I can have time to enjoy.
Regards,

Vince

Ron_L

#16: Post by Ron_L »

I chose 10-15 minutes, but that's an average. It really depends on how badly I need the caffeine! If I really need it, it will take me longer because I do stupid things like dose the ground coffee into the PF/Yogurt cup combo, then pull the yogurt cup off without using the WDT tool, so I have to re-stick the yogurt cup into the PF and then use the WDT tool! :roll:
...ron

LMWDP #356

Psyd

#17: Post by Psyd »

Ron_L wrote:If I really need it, it will take me longer because I do stupid things like dose the ground coffee into the PF/Yogurt cup combo, then pull the yogurt cup off without using the WDT tool, so I have to re-stick the yogurt cup into the PF and then use the WDT tool! :roll:
My People!

Before 10 AM, espresso isn't a luxury, it's a prescription...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

okaychatt

#18: Post by okaychatt »

HB wrote:The question below prompted this poll. To keep results consistent, assume the espresso machine is preheated, you're preparing two double-espresso milk-based drinks of your choice (OK, espresso purists should assume two double espressos), and include clean up.
My routine checks in at about 5 minutes 10 seconds. I thought I was very slow, but now I'm not so sure.

I timed the routine as if I were at my usual leisurely pace.

This includes a preheat of the Bodum Pavina espresso glasses, the dump/rinse of the pf, a brief cleaning of the screen and surrounding area with a Pallo brush, followed by a run of water through the pf when done to get any debris left on the screen.

I have to take things slowly or I get too flustered and mess up. No way could I do what the professional baristi do, with ten yammering customers in line and already running late for work.

ETA - this is just for two double espressos. I'll time my routine for a capp or latte. No wonder I was coming in so fast. My time will probably double, if not triple.
Kay

LeoZ

#19: Post by LeoZ »

im really slow. most mornings arent espresso mornings for me. granted im new at this, but i also dont want to think of coffee before my long train ride, so i prefer the extra sleep, and dont start my 'espresso morning' until 7pm on work days :(

however, direct answer is ~15mins, most of which is cleanup.

Psyd

#20: Post by Psyd »

okaychatt wrote: No way could I do what the professional baristi do, with ten yammering customers in line and already running late for work.
When I am behind the counter, there is no yammering. Yammerrers will be told to leave, with a curt, "No coffee for you!"
They will not be allowed back until they have apologized (at a slow time of the day) and brought some sort of muffin-ey or chocolat-ey offering, and much prostration and self-flaggelation.
I think this is why there are some places that have one person take the order and another just churn out coffees. I've seen it done as mass-production, and I've seen (two) places where this is the technique and the results are exceptional.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175