How much time does your morning espresso routine require? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.

How much time does your morning espresso routine require?

More than 30 minutes
9%
25-30 minutes
11%
20-25 minutes
7%
15-20 minutes
11%
10-15 minutes
31%
Less than 10 minutes
32%

Total votes: 160

Paul L

#11: Post by Paul L »

For the record, I proved to myself today that a 10 minute routine is possible but, you know, we spend too much time rushing through daily life and coffee is something I guess I like to slow down for and connect with rather than speed through it going through the motions. I think as well that when you're learning, you should take your time to think about what is happening and the approach you're taking with the variables.

papalatte

#12: Post by papalatte »

11 or 12 min. (2 doubles first thing) That's about it for me........ Maybe I'm not as focused as some folks....... but then I don't want to be...... my espresso bar is my little place. I keep it clean and neat no one but me goes there. I guess I doodle a little there........ :D I love to make espresso, cappuccinos or lattes for people, but I take my time....... That's my story and I'm sticking to it....... :lol:

Skip

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

OK, I get it; everyone needs to dawdle at some point in the day. I just prefer doing that cappa in hand.
Jim Schulman

Psyd

#14: Post by Psyd replying to another_jim »

Friggin' morning person. Go figger!

In the AM, I set the alarm for a half hour earlier if I'm gonna make coffee before I go, and I usually have the time to make a coupla cappas, clean up, and drink mine before I have to go out the door. So, from pouring milk into the pitcher to go into the freezer (the first thing I do) to the bottom of the cup is just under a half hour without rushing. I've put up a coupla cappas in a rush, and I'm sure both of them were being drunk in under ten minutes. Sometimes I use both groups, if I'm in a hurry, but cleaning two PF's takes a bit longer, so...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

VS_DoubleShot

#15: Post by VS_DoubleShot »

I must say, I hardly ever do this in the morning. I usually make drinks after work so I can have time to enjoy.
Regards,

Vince

Ron_L

#16: Post by Ron_L »

I chose 10-15 minutes, but that's an average. It really depends on how badly I need the caffeine! If I really need it, it will take me longer because I do stupid things like dose the ground coffee into the PF/Yogurt cup combo, then pull the yogurt cup off without using the WDT tool, so I have to re-stick the yogurt cup into the PF and then use the WDT tool! :roll:
...ron

LMWDP #356

Psyd

#17: Post by Psyd »

Ron_L wrote:If I really need it, it will take me longer because I do stupid things like dose the ground coffee into the PF/Yogurt cup combo, then pull the yogurt cup off without using the WDT tool, so I have to re-stick the yogurt cup into the PF and then use the WDT tool! :roll:
My People!

Before 10 AM, espresso isn't a luxury, it's a prescription...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

okaychatt

#18: Post by okaychatt »

HB wrote:The question below prompted this poll. To keep results consistent, assume the espresso machine is preheated, you're preparing two double-espresso milk-based drinks of your choice (OK, espresso purists should assume two double espressos), and include clean up.
My routine checks in at about 5 minutes 10 seconds. I thought I was very slow, but now I'm not so sure.

I timed the routine as if I were at my usual leisurely pace.

This includes a preheat of the Bodum Pavina espresso glasses, the dump/rinse of the pf, a brief cleaning of the screen and surrounding area with a Pallo brush, followed by a run of water through the pf when done to get any debris left on the screen.

I have to take things slowly or I get too flustered and mess up. No way could I do what the professional baristi do, with ten yammering customers in line and already running late for work.

ETA - this is just for two double espressos. I'll time my routine for a capp or latte. No wonder I was coming in so fast. My time will probably double, if not triple.
Kay

LeoZ

#19: Post by LeoZ »

im really slow. most mornings arent espresso mornings for me. granted im new at this, but i also dont want to think of coffee before my long train ride, so i prefer the extra sleep, and dont start my 'espresso morning' until 7pm on work days :(

however, direct answer is ~15mins, most of which is cleanup.

Psyd

#20: Post by Psyd »

okaychatt wrote: No way could I do what the professional baristi do, with ten yammering customers in line and already running late for work.
When I am behind the counter, there is no yammering. Yammerrers will be told to leave, with a curt, "No coffee for you!"
They will not be allowed back until they have apologized (at a slow time of the day) and brought some sort of muffin-ey or chocolat-ey offering, and much prostration and self-flaggelation.
I think this is why there are some places that have one person take the order and another just churn out coffees. I've seen it done as mass-production, and I've seen (two) places where this is the technique and the results are exceptional.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175