How many shots to dial in a coffee

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
billgiannelli

#1: Post by billgiannelli »

So I have been experimenting and learning and going thru a lot of coffee!
when you start a new batch of coffee, how many shots does it take "you veterans" to dial in the taste?
I have a horrible image of trying to make espresso for guests, and they end up watching me burn thru all my coffee trying to get a good taste!
Bill

megamixman

#2: Post by megamixman »

Honestly depends on how well you know your coffee, grinder, machine, and most importantly, your tongue. The more you branch out in coffee types, the more intuition you'll get for what grind you need. I've been getting a different bag every week now and on most medium roasts, I'm very close by my 3rd attempt and stop fidgeting after my 5th double-shot. That leaves me another 7-8 double-shots in the bag. When I repeat a bag, I usually only need 1 try to dial-in to being just-right. I need to start recording my settings so I can dial in faster when I go back to a bag.

PS. What is a guest?
PPS. Keep a log I guess?

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

My experience is consistent with megamixman's. Easy, forgiving espressos similar to ones I've pulled are good on the first or second try. Challenging single origins that are fussy may take 5+ tries (and sometimes still aren't quite there). If I'm serving guests, especially ones asking for milk drinks, I stick to familiar blends to avoid trying their patience.
Dan Kehn

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Plinyyounger »

This is a fun question. Normally either with light or medium roasts from the roasters I prefer dialing in is pretty quick 2-3 shots but normally drinkable after 2. However, lol, I have had a couple light roasts from these same roasters which I couldn't dial in! Literally had to choke the machine then dial back before anything acceptable. I threw a half bag in the trash just 3 days ago I was so frustrated, lol.

So my point is, normally it's pretty easy. But on occasion things go south! Not always our fault I feel.

Have fun!
Family, coffee and fun.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by emradguy »

Same here. I'm usually dialed in after 2-3 shots, but some coffees are more challenging. The other day, I bought a Rwandan that came in both natural process and washed. I cupped them both, and really enjoyed them each a lot, for their own character. I've pulled at least 5 shots of the natural, and haven't found the right dose/grind yet. Well, to be honest, I think I did but didn't like it (as espresso). One of my friends recommended pulling it lungo, but I left town on a road trip before I could get to that. He's since told me he doesn't like anything he's pulled with those beans. I brought the washed beans with me and had them dialed in after 3 shots. They're pulling really nice on my Flair, using an OE Lido ET. I made drinks for 5 people today (including me), and everyone loved it...and asked for seconds (which is a bit of work using this travel setup).

And just like Dan, if I know I've got a crowd coming that I need to entertain, I usually stick with something I know well (this trip was a little different in that regard). It's a bit awkward and embarrassing to pull shot after shot after shot only to fail at getting something good in the cup. People expect great coffee when they come to my house, and I don't want to look like a fool.
LMWDP #748

xoddoza

#6: Post by xoddoza »

I've only really been into the Home Espresso game for 3 years now, and I started off chopping and changing bags of coffee. Buy one 250g bag finish then move onto a different one. By the time I'd managed a drinkable shot (with terrible puck-prep) and then as the bag aged, it made it tricky to really know if I 'liked' that coffee or not.

About 6 months ago I started buying 1kg bags and freezing sections of them immediately then un-freezing 24 hours before using. Have more time so to speak with each batch of coffee has made it easier to see what I enjoy and what I don't. I guess I've also got better at understanding how the grind setting changes as the beans age post roast. I've really only had 1 big miss, where I bought a KG and halfway through the bag realised it wasn't to my taste (or I couldn't pull it to my taste)

Echo the comments about guests though, while I tend to drink espresso or long blacks, I keep a reliable blend which is good for milk drinks in my freezer to pull out for guests when I'm expecting family to come stay.

ojt

#7: Post by ojt »

Nowadays for most beans 2 shots. Some beans surprise me and may take 4 or so shots. If I feel like I need to fiddle with different sized baskets and ristretto vs normal it may take more shots, but usually all shots are very much enjoyable and majority of guests wouldn't even notice the difference. It's just a question of searching the ideal extraction and appreciating the different tastes I can get out of the beans. Now for example I am experimenting with brewing espresso using the Kinu brew burr and have "wasted" a few shots. Still drank all of them and enjoyed them too, that's an important part of dialing in. Drink and ponder.

So like everyone else said, once you know the machine and have a general idea of how different beans behave, you will be able to dial in very quickly.
Osku

slipchuck

#8: Post by slipchuck »

Milk is my best friend when shooting for the god shot.
Better than the sink
Hate wasting

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by LBIespresso »

billgiannelli wrote:So I have been experimenting and learning and going thru a lot of coffee!
when you start a new batch of coffee, how many shots does it take "you veterans" to dial in the taste?
I have a horrible image of trying to make espresso for guests, and they end up watching me burn thru all my coffee trying to get a good taste!
Bill
Keep going with the experimenting. I promise you that in a year you will look back at this post and be amazed at how much better you are.

As for guests, like everyone else said, pick something you like and have been able to dial in and stick with that. Save your experimenting for yourself and some understanding friends.
LMWDP #580