How does AI describe espresso? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
buckersss
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by buckersss »

Wild answer, it provided some pretty good information on your question it seems.

I asked it to help me craft a water recipe for use with espresso. I asked it about potassium bicarbonate. After it responded unfavourably the first time I countered saying potassium bicarbonate is present in club soda. This is the response.

[quote]As I mentioned earlier, it's generally not recommended to add potassium bicarbonate to distilled water for use in making espresso. Consuming large amounts of potassium bicarbonate can be harmful to your health, and it can also alter the flavor of the espresso in undesirable ways. If you want to change the flavor profile of your espresso, you can try using different types of coffee beans or using a different roasting method. Club soda is a carbonated water that typically contains added minerals like potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, and sodium citrate, as well as carbon dioxide gas. While club soda can be consumed in moderation as part of a healthy diet, it's important to note that the added minerals can have an effect on the flavor of the water and the beverages it is used to make.

boren

#12: Post by boren »

ChatGPT, answering my question as a cowboy who likes Shakespeare (and espresso):
Oh fair espresso, thou art a mighty elixir, a divine brew that brings joy to the heart and fortitude to the mind. Thou art a liquid gold, a treasure of the earth, a nectar fit for cowpokes and kings alike. Thy flavor dances upon the tongue, a symphony of bold and subtle notes that awakens the senses. Thou art a true marvel, a work of art, a shot of espresso that speaks to the soul. Hail to thee, oh noble brew, thou art a treasure beyond measure, worthy of a mighty holler and a tip of the hat.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Pressino »

another_jim wrote:I just read an opinion piece in the NYT about whether AI programs will replace knowledge workers in the same way that assembly line robots replaced blue collar workers. ChatGPT figured prominently, writing a generic boiler plate analysis on that question, saying some jobs will be lost and others gained.

This was a lot like the espresso explanation you got -- a smooth answer lacking any surprise or aha moments. The only surprise is how well it digests a universe consisting of information only.

Sadly, this is something that humans are rapidly approaching too. On HB, we get more and more posters whose YouTube experience vastly outweighs their hands on experience. They still do a little better than ChatGPT, but the more their symbolic information outweighs their embodied experience, the more like chatbots they become, i.e. making unsurprising posts that merely remix common knowledge without any aha moments.

So for me, it's mostly a shrug. The chatbots will replace the experts who have become chatbots themselves. Nobody will even notice.
Exceedingly excellent observation that the AI "expert writers" will not be able to write anything really "new" because they (if that pronoun is the correct one to use) will depend on whatever knowledge they can access in some database. Now if there were some AI equipped robot to "experiment" in the real world and obtain "new" knowledge, perhaps AI could fully replace humans. That would be a new formulation the Turing Test...

GDM528

#14: Post by GDM528 »

The "P" in GPT stands for for "Pre-trained", so there's a thread in its predictable response linking back to everything it scraped off the data it was fed. Hence the feelings of banality seeping in as we exhaust our penchant for anthropomorphizing. If anything, this may allow us to outsource being boring so we can focus on being interesting - I'm all for that.

I did try to coax some inventions out or ChatGPT, and, per its architecture the responses were largely recycled. It's (currently) not designed to invent - but that's just a coding problem, easily rectified. However, it did stumble through some suggestions that did get me wondering:

1) Has anybody tried using pressurized nitrogen as the water 'pump'?

2) Has anyone tried using a vacuum to 'pull' the water through the puck, rather than push it?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Pressino »

GDM528 wrote:
I did try to coax some inventions out or ChatGPT, and, per its architecture the responses were largely recycled. It's (currently) not designed to invent - but that's just a coding problem, easily rectified. However, it did stumble through some suggestions that did get me wondering:

1) Has anybody tried using pressurized nitrogen as the water 'pump'?

2) Has anyone tried using a vacuum to 'pull' the water through the puck, rather than push it?
Your second question is fascinating, insofar as it suggests some "original machine thinking" (if that's where it came from). It reminds me of the so-called Feynman Sprinkler Problem, which you can read about in the following Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_s ... d%20debate.

GDM528

#16: Post by GDM528 »

Pressino wrote: it suggests some "original machine thinking" (if that's where it came from).
Well...
The second question was my (allegedly a human) attempt to sort through the wreckage of ChatGPT's mashup of established vacuum brewing methods with a Dr. Seussian arrangement of chambers and pipes. It resonated with thoughts I already had on the general principle, so I was 'pre-trained' to rephrase it in a manner similar to how one might conduct a brainstorming session.

As for original thinking, that's exactly why I posted the questions. Hoping that someone who's 'seen it all' might pipe in and say they've seen that before. If not, then I might have a bead on my next build project...

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Pressino replying to GDM528 »

I was hoping (fearing?) that the second question was posed by the AI, so I find your comment that it was posed by you reassuring that human brains have not yet been made obsolete.

I mentioned the "Feynman Sprinker" problem (actually posed much earlier by Ernst Mach), because it was a problem that required actual experimentation, rather than just thought, to be solved...or at least to confirm which hypothetical reasoning would come up with the "real world" answer. I can think of reasons why the vacuum approach to extracting espresso might or might not work, which is why I say have at it and perform the experiment! :)

GDM528

#18: Post by GDM528 »

Pressino wrote: reassuring that human brains have not yet been made obsolete.
You may find further reassurance to hear that ChatGPT also got the sprinkler question wrong. It presumed that reversing the flow would reverse the rotation. Reverse one = reverse all, right? Wrong. It also launched into some recriminations about my social responsibility (I get that a lot, even from humans) and suggested that I should leave this to professionals. LoL.

As for vacuum espresso, ChatGPT didn't consider that atmospheric pressure (the other side of the vacuum system) is only about 14.7 psi, whereas espresso pressures can run over 150psi - so, off by an order of magnitude, ooops.

Nonetheless, AI might still be able to help me make better espresso, if I can put up with the pedantic, condescending tone. Seems only fair, given what the humans around me have to put up with ;)