How do you remove chrome from brass? - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Psyd (original poster)

#31: Post by Psyd (original poster) »

Well, I let it boil for a few hours, and the concentration of CA was obviously enough, as there was just enough room to sink two nekkids up to their necks in solution and a tablespoon(ish) of CA, and I kept up with replenishing the water in both the solution and the pot of water that the whole mess sat in.

The results? Now the brass parts are a bit pinkish, and the chrome parts are completely devoid of any calcification or lime.

Other than that; nix, nyet, nada. No flaking, no peeling, no nothing.
Thanks for the suggestions, though?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

cannonfodder
Team HB

#32: Post by cannonfodder »

Now you just have to buff and they will be as shiny as gold.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
Psyd (original poster)

#33: Post by Psyd (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

Y'know, except all the parts with all the chrome all over them still...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

CRCasey

#34: Post by CRCasey »

Well obviously there is either a difference in the plating itself, or in the thickness you need to remove. Or there is a last option, you used a different type of pan that did not have a place for the chrome to deposit to, so it stayed where it was.

Have you considered placing a piece of sacrificial metal in there with the PF's to give the chrome a place to deposit?

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

Psyd (original poster)

#35: Post by Psyd (original poster) »

CRCasey wrote: Or there is a last option, you used a different type of pan that did not have a place for the chrome to deposit to, so it stayed where it was.

Have you considered placing a piece of sacrificial metal in there with the PF's to give the chrome a place to deposit?
Uhm, that'd work with an electro-stripping version of the removal process, but the 'citric acid stripped the chrome off the inside of my boiler' stories had no anode or cathode to electro-chemically remove the plating, and reported it flaking off. As I read that, the adhesion (molecular, chemical, whatever) between the two surfaces gave up, not that molecules of the chrome were transferred onto another surface.

All I know is that there were no (none, zilch, zip, nada, nyet) chrome bits anywhere but still where they were when the process started.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175