How do you disassemble ECM E61 mushroom valve

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Derryisreal
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Derryisreal »

Hi again, folks, I am trying to disassemble the mushroom on my ECM. I have taken the mushroom out of the E61 group and I am trying to take the mushroom itself apart, to check screen inside. It would not come apart. I am gripping the mushroom stem and I am going counterclockwise on the top large (36 mm) nut? No luck. :|
Should I turn clockwise on the top nut?
I am pulling my hair out!
I don't want a KafaTek... or... Do I?

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Remove the large nut with the mushroom bolted in the group, then remove the bolts. :oops: got the wrong model

Hopefully you have a full set of new OEM gaskets if disassembling the group.

Derryisreal (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

But this is just it - I have the large nut out of the group. I just can't separate the large nut from the long stem underneath it.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

If I look at the ECM parts diagram (source: Whole Latte Love)

it looks to me as though if you remove the cover/nut #12, it is not attached to the mushroom at all.

Edit: Looking at PIXIllate's photos in the thread, my understanding of the diagram is not correct.

Would you post a photo if you're still having difficulties?

Amberale

#5: Post by Amberale »

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:If I look at the ECM parts diagram (source: Whole Latte Love)

it looks to me as though if you remove the cover/nut #12, it is not attached to the mushroom at all.

Would you post a photo if you're still having difficulties?
Thanks, Jeff, I guess I am phrasing things badly and just confusing people. What I want to do is separate number 12 from number 14 (on the scheme). In order to do so, I grab number 14 with a wrench, and turn number 12 counterclockwise. It is probably very tight, or it needs to be turned clockwise, but it wont move.
I am doing the right thing turning the large nut (number 12) counterclockwise in order to unscrew from number 14, right?

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by PIXIllate » replying to Derryisreal »

Yes, they can be very tight. When I disassembled my flow control it took a fair amount of strength to get them apart. See post 29 for a video and details of what I did.

Profitec Pro 600 - No Pressure/Water from Group
★ Helpful

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

Thanks Chris, I appreciate it. I will try again next time, already put the machine back together.

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

My approach to this is to stand the mushroom on a counter upside down and put a few drops of penetrating agent on the thread joint several times in 24 hours. Then stand it upside down in enough very hot water to submerge only the big nut. I set 2 dishes next to each other, replenish the hot water from a kettle in one, and move the assembly into it while putting fresh hot water in the other. After a few minutes, the cap should unscrew from the bell-shaped part.

To separate the pieces, I put the cap nut in an upturned socket on a breaker bar clamped in a vise. I don't care if the penetrant is "food safe", since the entire assembly is SS and can be thoroughly cleaned.