How did I do?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
xaxphaanes

#1: Post by xaxphaanes »

First time tastes ok hahah using 18 grams coffee (local roaster)

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

That's pretty cool!

Thanks for posting to your video, I enjoyed watching it. Your drink looks pretty tasty.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Advertisement
Ken5

#3: Post by Ken5 »

I am guessing it is very close to roast date?

Looks good, though I would work on getting the entire basket showing espresso about the same time. Did you tamp level? Were the grounds level before the tamp?

Ken

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Pressino »

Extraction looks great to me. The video view point illustrates just how manual lever extraction works and allows on-the-fly pressure profiling. Excellent job!

xaxphaanes (original poster)

#5: Post by xaxphaanes (original poster) »

Thank you! These are definitely addictive haha how many espressos should you have in a day haha.

cafeIKE

#6: Post by cafeIKE »

Pressino wrote:Extraction looks great to me.
Don't invite me over :twisted:

IMO, this is a sinker. Dose and distribution likely culprits.

Half moon start:

Basket should be evenly covered before flow starts falling

Only one third of the basket is flowing. Only part of the puck is extracting.

... lots of cone movement ...

Right front is barely flowing. Color and volume is all over the map

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Pressino »

cafeIKE wrote:Don't invite me over :twisted:

IMO, this is a sinker. Dose and distribution likely culprits.
Well, if you look at the bulk of the extraction which occurs after 12 seconds in the video (and looks like the lever action began around 2 sec) it does look pretty good to me as well as in the cup, but what the heck do I know. I'd certainly give it a sip before proclaiming it a sinker...

Advertisement
cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

Sorry, but the shot in the glass is what first clued me this might not be optimal.

Assuming the image is taken within a few seconds, the crema separation is too defined.
The last part of the shot video is too watery and channeling.

Ken5

#9: Post by Ken5 »

My guess is not within a few seconds of the shot, sort of looks like a shot that was made from beans that were very close to the roast date??

To the op, yours is a much better shot than I got for weeks and weeks on my robot, maybe months. Hopefully it tasted as good as it looks in the cup.

mdmvrockford

#10: Post by mdmvrockford »

To OP "xaxphaanes", I would ask the much more important question: how did it taste?
E.g. Did flavors match what roaster mentioned for that bean? Was balance good? Body to your liking? Aftertaste good?

I see you just joined Home-Barista.com and have two posts. So I will assume you are new to home espresso brewing. Also I realize one cannot ask others to evaluate one's espresso brew taste unless doing this in person. Still most people have functional palates so if it tasted great to you it will likely taste great to others. Until you can meet up with other more experienced baristas, (if you were not prior aware of this thread) I would strongly suggest you review this: Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

Back to discussion of naked portafilter extractions: I would suggest you read posts within this home-barista.com thread on naked portafilter extractions and quality of espresso:
The goal is great TASTING espresso, not great LOOKING espresso
The TL/DR is in these two posts within above thread (uri above):

In my experience brewing espresso for others to drink at home-barista.com get togethers with other senior members (experience and knowledge, not age) including two HB moderators, I have had many a "crappy" looking shots that the others thought were on target and/or great for that particular bean roast.

Welcome to home-barista "xaxphaanes" and you chose wisely with Cafelat Robot Barista (it is my current daily driver espresso brewer). What grinder are you using?

P.S. ICYWW why naked portafilters then (which I have solely used since ~ 2010)?
* I like seeing the pours. I typically only make two espressos a day and enjoy the process. Part of that enjoyment is the visuals. But as stated above taste is the far more important and ultimate determinant of espresso quality.
* It is far easier to see channeling which IME is detrimental to taste.
* Little more crema (as it is "fluffier" vs. crema from spouted portafilters ; to be clear crema is visual, I stir it into drink right after brew).
* Slight easier cleanup.
LMWDP #568