Holes on top of my puck...

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mlim18

#1: Post by mlim18 »

Does any one know what would be causing these holes?

My shots seem and taste fine and there is no noticeable channeling coming spurting out either, but I'm pretty consistent getting couple holes showing on on top of my puck.

I'm happy with my shot in the cup, so mainly just curious. And always looking for ways to improve. :)

Thanks!

PS - My typical dose and output is standard: 14.5g in, 29g out in 30seconds with QM Anita EVO and Baratza Vario.

h3yn0w

#2: Post by h3yn0w »

I've come to learn that examining the puck is pretty pointless.

Those holes could be channeling (unlikely) or could just be grounds that stuck to the dispersion screen when you pulled out the portafilter after the shot was done, or got sucked up when the 3 way valves vacuumed up the water. Given the shot tasted good I would assume it's one of the latter.

mlim18 (original poster)

#3: Post by mlim18 (original poster) »

h3yn0w wrote:I've come to learn that examining the puck is pretty pointless.
I get it. That pointlessness is pretty much what I've gathered from reading around on here thus far, so I've hesitated to even ask. But, I also figured it couldn't hurt. :wink:

Thanks!

Espresso_Junky

#4: Post by Espresso_Junky »

Well opinions vary and everything happens for a reason. If you ask me, using a bottomless portafilter is pointless, lmao. OR weighing an extraction to stop at a number is pointless. I rely on taste, texture, color, flow, etc., not just numbers, but to each his/her own.

Based on your pic it could be irregular flow from the shower screen, meaning higher pressure streams causing those holes. I had the same 'problem' with another machine and it was a shower screen issue... not distributing the water evenly.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Another puck mystery thread? They never grow old. :lol:
h3yn0w wrote:Those holes could be channeling (unlikely) or could just be grounds that stuck to the dispersion screen when you pulled out the portafilter after the shot was done, or got sucked up when the 3 way valves vacuumed up the water.
I agree, the depressurization is far more disruptive than the brew process itself. But if the OP wants to pursue this mystery, I have an idea... Since this is an E61, depressurize it very slowly by leaving the brew lever in the up position and powering off the machine. The pump will stop, but the release valve won't open. Wait a few minutes while the pressure slowly escapes through the bottom of the basket. Unlock the portafilter and observe the preserved "evidence" of puckology gone wild (or not).
Dan Kehn

Ganymede

#6: Post by Ganymede »

Could the holes be caused by gas escaping from a puck of finely ground stuff? I also get them in pucks that made perfectly tasty shots, with no evidence of channeling (I use a bottomless pf myself). You'll see one such bubble arise in this video of shots made with a transparent portafilter. I believe it's the last shot he pulls.

Simon345

#7: Post by Simon345 »

I see the exact same thing sometimes on pucks from my linea mini. Always assumed that was a sign of chanelling

sweaner

#8: Post by sweaner »

There's a hole in my puck
Dear Liza, Dear Liza
:D
Scott
LMWDP #248

RyanJE

#9: Post by RyanJE »

I know exactly what it's from!........... water.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

tohenk2

#10: Post by tohenk2 »

I sometimes have this too. Almost always in the same spot. I think depresurising is what is causing it, because sometimes there is a LOT of coffee up on the filterscreen.

Since it does not seem to affect taste, time etc. I was curious but nothing more.

Since the general consensus here seems to be that puckology is useless I left it at that.