Hints of Sesame in Oat Latte

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Lampardinho

#1: Post by Lampardinho »

Hey everyone,

Last year in Tokyo, I had an incredible iced oat latte at a small coffee spot called Coffee Swamp, and I've been obsessed with it ever since. I'm hoping someone can help me recreate it.

It was a tiny one-man counter shop with a chill vibe, and the barista plays mellow vinyl. I stumbled upon it by accident and couldn't resist going back every day of my trip.

The iced oat latte had a velvety texture and a subtle hint of sesame, almost like there was a drop of sesame oil (although I watched closely, and there wasn't). The barista poured the shot onto cold oat milk (Oatside brand) in an ice-cold glass from the freezer.

The settling shot created a visually stunning effect through the oat milk. It was a game-changer!

I'm curious if it's the coffee blend or the oat milk that gives it that sesame flavor.
Unfortunately, Oatside isn't available here in Australia, but I'm open to having it shipped.

My setup is Varia VS3 and Breville Dual Boiler. Any insights would be much appreciated!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

According to their website, Oatside roasts their Australian oats and says Australian oats have a nuttier taste. That plus the Canola oil that they add might give a sesame effect.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

kye

#3: Post by kye »

If the oat milk doesn't taste like that from the manufacturer then it might be something that the barista did to it that perhaps you didn't see and might have been done beforehand. Infusing it beforehand, lining the glasses with an essence, etc etc. Perhaps even some sort of physical or temperature based treatment of the oat milk, etc. What flavours are created or enhanced when you put oat milk in an ultrasonic bath for 3 hours? Who knows, but it's all possible and no lengths are too far if the results are there - and they kept you coming back each day so obviously something was working!

Japan is famous for being obsessive about quality, to the point where a decent establishment there would exhibit equivalent obsessiveness to that shown in the World Barista Championships.