Help with donut extraction - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
bostonbuzz

#11: Post by bostonbuzz »

I have found that with using an Orphan Funnel, you have to push the grinds to the outside when you take it off. I expect the same is true for the Versalab. Also, with WDT'ing, if I end in big circles on the outside I get a doughnut extraction, but stirring evenly will fix it. With my cremina I would end by stirring in the middle to get a perfectly even extraction because they thing loved doughnuting.
LMWDP #353

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by mitch236 »

I agree the oe dosing funnel can cause edge sealing issues if you're not careful. That's why I stopped using it and have sent them a couple of emails about redesigning it to fit over the basket as opposed to inside the basket.

Gus

#13: Post by Gus »

I have been off the board for a little while so please pardon the interruption. But this sounds like an equipment familiarity issue. I did a quick search of your most recent posts and discovered this is fairly new equipment for you.

I think maybe you're just in that awkward phase of getting familiar with it. I remember when I got my Brewtus and Super Jolly (not the same league I know) I was surprised and annoyed that I still experienced the same type of issues I did when upgrading to a Gaggia Classic and MCI doserless from my original low end set up. I thought new superior equipment was going to equal instant results and on both occasions there was a definite learning curve. Patience and basics will prevail.

I agree with everyone else that there is not a significant donut, but it does look like the flow is still on the fast side. Perhaps you need a slightly finer grind.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

Italyhound (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Italyhound (original poster) »

My issues are pretty much fixed, thanks to the responders here.

Still some spritzers but it's 98% better.