Help to diagnose this shot - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Pressino
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Pressino »

Jake_G wrote:
My Super Jolly consistently pulled shots only out of the left side of the basket. Leveling tools like you propose had zero effect on this phenomenon, as for whatever reason, the grinds in the right side of the basket were more dense than the left, so the water went to the left, even though the puck was level. WDT or dumping my puck into the top of the doser and dosing a second time were the only things that seemed to fix the issue. Why? No idea. There were no clumps and if it weren't for the bottomless portafilter, I'd have had no idea my extractions were so uneven. Flat grinders are weird.

Cheers!

- Jake
Were you dispensing directly into the portafilter using the SJ's doser? Before I converted my Mini and SJ to single dosing with the DW mod I had problems due to the grinds being ejected into the PF eccentrically (due to the direction of burr rotation along with the spin direction of the doser vanes during "thwacking" to dispense coffee from the doser bin. Dispensing into a cup etc. solved the problem. I haven't tried dispensing from the DW spout directly into the PF, but if the old problem emerges when I do, then I'd have to blame burr rotation as a sufficient reason for asymmetric filling of the PF...though certainly the doser vane rotation direction is contributory.

Jake_G
Team HB

#22: Post by Jake_G »

Pressino wrote:Were you dispensing directly into the portafilter using the SJ's doser?
Indeed I was.
Pressino wrote:Dispensing into a cup etc. solved the problem.
Same. Though I strongly prefer the PF -> WDT -> Tamp workflow over the Cup -> Dump -> Settle/tap, whatever -> Tamp workflow.
Pressino wrote:though certainly the doser vane rotation direction is contributory.
Yeah, I think the thwacking played a heavy role.
LMWDP #704

Maggiekw (original poster)

#23: Post by Maggiekw (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote: Do you single dose?
w hopper or ???
Hopper lid on?
I i have tried single dose, but the beans are popping around forever. Even if I use a 58 tamper (perfect fit) to cover. Its a nightmare everytime I want the last bit of coffee out. So I find myself using the hopper with maybe 75-100g of beans in it at a time.

I have heard others have success with single dose the e37s, but I dont understand how? Single dose and the much better distribution, are maybe the two main reason of why I ordered the P100. Hope for better clarity to.