Help setting depth of tamper/distribution tool

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
lawn_wrangler

#1: Post by lawn_wrangler »

Hi all:

I recently bought a puck-style adjustable tamper/distribution tool, hoping to achieve more consistency in my tamping.

($50 on Amazon):

I've been experimenting with different depths of distribution and tamp, but I'm having trouble reaching a useful starting point. I got a good shot after the settings shown here (about 33g in 30 sec, which works well for this particular roast):

BUT with just one notch coarser on my HG-One, the shot gushed 45g in 28 sec.

I've read several threads on this topic and know I need to do a lot of experimenting to get the depth of the distribution tool and tamper "dialed in." But, I'd like to ask you all this: Should I move significantly shallower or deeper with the distribution/tamper settings to get more room to play with the grind settings when dialing in new coffees? Is there something else you think may be causing such a disparity of extraction with a small adjustment in grind setting?

Thanks!

Setup: HG-One; Rancilio Silvia; 18g VST; OE Ipanema funnel
Workflow: Weigh 18g; RDT w/martini atomizer (containing water 8) ); grind directly into basket through funnel; slight downward knock to settle grounds; WDT w/mini whisk 5-10 sec; gently lower distribution tool and spin several times; place tamper on grounds (about 1 mm above where they settled w/distribution tool) and gently depress; pull

Atbat82

#2: Post by Atbat82 »

I don't know if I have the "right" answer, but I'll tell you what I do that seems to work pretty well:

1) I set the distribution tool fairly shallow - such that if I updose or grind coarser, it does not compress the puck. I'm just looking for this to spread the grinds relatively evenly and it's doesn't need to reach very deep to do that.

2) I set the tamper fairly deep - such that if I down does or grind finer, it still compresses the puck. The one caveat here is that you can't rely on the "handle" thingy/ridge to keep the tamper level. You'll need to ensure you're applying level pressure as you would with a traditionally shaped tamper.

I don't know if that's helpful or if I explained it well, but think of it as err on the side of too shallow for the distribution tool and too deep for the tamper.

-Tom
LMWDP #655

lawn_wrangler (original poster)

#3: Post by lawn_wrangler (original poster) »

Thanks Tom. I'll give that a try.

symbology

#4: Post by symbology »

From the looks of the grounds in the PF it looks like your tamper could be too big and causing a vacuum as you remove it. This can dislodge the puck which will ruin the seal. The tamper you have is 58.5mm, if I recall.

You can try to pull the tamper to one side and slowly pull up on it. Trying to make sure there is no vacuum as you pull up.

lawn_wrangler (original poster)

#5: Post by lawn_wrangler (original poster) replying to symbology »

Great call, I think you nailed the problem. I've had a lot more consistent results since paying attention to the vacuum effect.

Sorry, I meant to say thanks a few weeks ago!