Help recreating a type of shot as coffee ages

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
brianl

Postby brianl » Mar 14, 2018, 10:08 am

A common issue that I have is that my first few days shots (usually a normale) with a particular coffee (usually 2-3 days post roast) will taste great. However, presumably after the gases stop affecting the flow rate after it ages a bit, it tightens up and the taste balance is changed (now a ristretto after making no changes). How would I go about adjusting the taste balance to get back to the original? I have tried lowering the dose and coarsing the grind to no avail but there was nothing scientific about the process.

Has anyone else experienced this and have any tips?

redbone

Postby redbone » Mar 14, 2018, 10:13 am

Funny you mention this. I found a similar thing and found that when I lowered my water TDS gradually as the beans aged I was able to keep as close to the original taste profile. Theory is that lowered TDS pulls more out of the coffee. No lower than 50 ppm and starting as high as 170ppm with newly roasted beans.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

cimarronEric
Sponsor

Postby cimarronEric » Mar 14, 2018, 10:44 am

brianl wrote: have tried lowering the dose and coarsing the grind to no avail but there was nothing scientific about the process.

Did you try these changes separately or together?
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

brianl

Postby brianl » replying to cimarronEric » Mar 14, 2018, 5:26 pm

separately.

cimarronEric
Sponsor

Postby cimarronEric » Mar 14, 2018, 7:23 pm

Honestly, I would never WANT to pull a shot within 2 or 3 days of roast because THOSE are the hard days to dial from my perspective.

I assume you are able to get to the same "recipe" with the changes you've made. What do you not like about the spro in the cup?
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

cannonfodder
Team HB

Postby cannonfodder » Mar 15, 2018, 9:27 pm

As coffee ages (usually a week or more post roast) and the shots start to flow faster and flavor/body drops off. When that happens you are trying to extend the service life of the coffee you need to open the grind up and increase the dose to compensate for the age.
Dave Stephens