Help me setup my Niche Zero + Breville (Sage) Dual Boiler

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Helmi

#1: Post by Helmi »

Hey community,

I'm quite a fresh owner of a Niche Zero and a Sage/Breville Dual Boiler 920xl. I have little but more than nothing experience in the espresso world. I spent a few hours with the setup already and think I'm kind of 75% there. I get some decent tasting espresso out of it but I think there's still room for improvement.

With the Niche I'm at around a 10 setting with the factory calibration. I'm at 20.5 gramms in the stock filter basket brewing a dark roast (Monsooned Malabar by Wittmann in case someone cares). I tried different preinfusion settings but I think either way the water runs too fast through the basket.

I'm pulling ~38g out at 10s Preinfusion + 18-20s extraction. Pressure needle is at around 9-10 bars so I feel I can't go much finer with the grind.

So I guess my first question is: Am I right assuming that this is a bit too fast? I'm not sure about which time to count so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got myself a bottomless Portafilter and I think it doesn't look too bad. Might have some small channels where liquid runs through a bit fast but not too sure about it.

My plan is to go as good as possible with the stock filter basket first before diving into any VST or anything else so I wonder if anyone of you is on a similar setup and/or can say something about the time thing.

Cheers,
Frank

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Your Niche is about where mine is (there seems to be a range depending on the individual grinders.)

Subjective but I would, given my druthers, want the extraction a bit slower and the pressure a bit lower. Is there some way to mess with the settings (not familiar with Sage/Breville db) OPV ? to lower the pressure? No doubt someone will chime in about the 'Slayer mod.' If they don't GTS.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

How fresh is the coffee?
Anything over about 17-18g in a stock double basket is pushing it.
10 bar is high if it is on the puck

Helmi (original poster)

#4: Post by Helmi (original poster) »

not sure about the roast date but definitely not too fresh. Maybe 2-3 months.

You're talking about "a stock double basket" so you're not talking about the BDB especially? AFAIK most people use 19.5-21g on the BDB and with less coffee i didn't have any success getting a steady and good extraction.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

At 2-3 months old, that is likely your problem.

Sealed bags of "espresso roast" coffees might be good up to a month after roast with very noticeable flavor shifts. Opened, a week is typical before getting into flavor shifts. Months old, even sealed, most are unsuitable for espresso.

Light-roast coffees and master-roasted Italian blends have different aging characteristics, but also will stale in short periods once opened. Unsealed, roll-top bags or "best by" dates without a "roasted on" date are probably best avoided in most markets.

Older coffees may be enjoyable as drip, but usually not a good choice for espresso.

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#6: Post by cafeIKE »

Helmi wrote:You're talking about "a stock double basket" so you're not talking about the BDB especially? AFAIK most people use 19.5-21g on the BDB and with less coffee i didn't have any success getting a steady and good extraction.
A 'stock double basket' is what came with the machine, not after market VST, IMS or ???. Usually spec'd for 14g, capable of about 17-18 depending on grind and coffee. Vary a bit in shape and depth, about 13/16" / 20.5mm to 15/16" / 23.8mm outside for 58mm e61. Not sure about the BDB baskets.

I have limited experience on using a pal's BDB. IIRC, he has a Barista Vario. I'm sure we used a scale that I had given him because we had to swipe the batteries from a TV remote. His coffee was darker than I prefer, but we ended up with about 17.5g for ≈30g in 30s from first drop. He didn't have a bottomless PF or WDT tool, but I was able to get pretty decent even pours using old-school methods. Missus loved her latte. I do recall, I didn't like the tamper as it was ergonomically poor fit for my hand and getting it level was a bit of challenge.