Help - less coffee waste

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
leonelbego

#1: Post by leonelbego »

Hi all,

Need your advice!

Let's say, you don't use the machine everyday, (I drink lots of coffee in the office). So, I maybe use my machine today 2-3 times but then tomorrow I don't use it and so on....

How long could I kept some coffee beans inside the grinder hopper before the beans go bad or stale? And yes, I know I should put only the quantity of beans I need to, but if I put a bit more and then pass 2-3 days without using the grinder would be those beans not good anymore?

I guess I'm wanting to hear what you people out there do in the case if you don't make coffee everyday...

Thanks a lot and regards :)

belegnole

#2: Post by belegnole »

I switched to single dosing for the same reasons you're asking this very question.

When I get fresh beans I freeze them a few days post roast. Most of what I get I put into little jelly jars. The little reusable canning jars, 8oz I think. Then I pull them out of the freezer as needed. Leaving the beans in the jar sealed until they are gone. I no longer use the hopper on my SJ. Of course it sits unused at the moment as I recently bought a Niche Zero.
LMWDP #641
★ Helpful

IntrepidQ3

#3: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I typically only use my machine on weekends and occasionally (ok, rarely as of late) during the week. We have a chemex at the office, which is now my morning coffee. Single dosing and freezing beans is the way to go. I admittedly have relaxed over the past year or two and not jumped to immediately freezing my beans. For my taste buds, I have found roughly the 4 to 6 week range post roast is the tipping point depending on the bean. I try to keep my bag o beans in a dark cool cabinet.

If I buy more than a pound I will freeze the excess beans.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

leonelbego (original poster)

#4: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to IntrepidQ3 »

Thank you very much :) May I ask how do you freeze the beans? What about the air inside the bags when they are in the freezer?

And how long in advance do you take the beans out of the freezer before you grind them? Or you just take what you need out of the freezer and can grind them immediately?

Thanks a lot,
Leo

#5: Post by leonelbego (original poster) »

belegnole wrote:I switched to single dosing for the same reasons you're asking this very question.

When I get fresh beans I freeze them a few days post roast. Most of what I get I put into little jelly jars. The little reusable canning jars, 8oz I think. Then I pull them out of the freezer as needed. Leaving the beans in the jar sealed until they are gone. I no longer use the hopper on my SJ. Of course it sits unused at the moment as I recently bought a Niche Zero.
Thank you very much :) yes, I started to single dose as well :)

May also ask you how exactly you freeze the beans? Is there any chance to see a picture?
And how do you do, you take out of the freeze only what you need and how long in advance? Or is as simple as take out of the freeze and grind immediately?

Thanks a Leo

belegnole

#6: Post by belegnole »

For the most part I use a 8oz canning jar similar to the picture below. To freeze the beans I don't do anything special. I just fill the little jar put on the lid and put it on the freezer.

When I don't have enough beans thawed to make my next drink I take another jar out of the freezer. Sometimes I use frozen beans and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in taste. But after I use the frozen beans i reseal the jar and let the rest thaw. I generally don't drink too much coffee (the doctor says I shouldn't have any) so a jar lasts a few days.

LMWDP #641

#7: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to belegnole »

Thank you very much for taking your time and posting the picture :)

I will need to try it, there are crazy mixed reviews out there about freezing beans, so I guess I will need to test it out myself and see how it goes.

Thank you,

IntrepidQ3

#8: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I do the same, just throw them in a jar and freeze.

I dont let my beams thaw. I weigh what I need and put the jar back in the freezer right after. You will need to adjust your grinder a bit. Frozen beans do grind differently.

Have fun experimenting!
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud