Help Adjusting Flavor - Page 8

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BillF

#71: Post by BillF »

OK31 wrote:I THINK wdt is helping but will definitely try lower temp. It's a bit of a nuisance to keep adjusting between beans so a consistent number would be great.

Thanks for the tip
I agree that's why I love these beans I got the beans dialed in to the right grind my normal temperature and my decaf beans Starbucks Sumatra (I know but love the strong earthy flavor) work exactly the same I don't have to adjust the grind I'm in hog heaven
BillF

OK31 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#72: Post by OK31 (original poster) »

Bret wrote:I don't do anything complex with the timing: I just use the timer on the BDB. When I did use preinfusion, I just wrote down the total time and noted the preinfusion time separately (eg. 40 s, 7s PIF -- so the 33 seconds after PIF is represented if you really need that for some reason). As said before, it doesn't matter much how you do it so long as you do it consistently -- then timing changes with your system will be meaningful to you. As a result of the variations in how people count their times, the 30 second shot is not The Goal, just a ballpark.

I have the the BDB and the SGP. I moved to single dosing the SGP for a variety of reasons, among them being a consistent dose.

I use the 920, but I still use the old baskets from my 900. The 920 baskets are very good, though, so probably no need to get any VST puppies unless you need to some very specific smaller doses.

In the first 3-4 months, as the SGP burrs break in, you'll likely find that the grind setting will need to gradually move from the 10-12 range toward the 6-8 range (assuming same coffee). So if you get it all dialed in and then in a month it seems off, adjusting the grind down a bit might be helpful (and normal).

I wouldn't buy a calibrated tamper if I were you. I did, found it to be an expensive paperweight (and as valuable as paperweights are in the paperless era!). Tamping to full compression (as previously mentioned) works very well for me, is very consistent, and at the rate of shots I pull is not a repetitive motion injury risk. If you did dozens and dozens of pulls a day, getting dialed in with a consistent 30 lb tamp would be of much more value).

The better way to spend money on a tamper is to get a leveling tamper. I use the Lev Tamp from Kafatek -- it is fantastic, self leveling and depth adjusting for varying dose levels. I highly recommend it. I have not used any other leveling tamper, so I can't objectively compare it with others. But I have no reason to seek another tamper any more, ever.

I did play around a lot with pre-infusion, trying to emulate Slayer shots, etc. Eventually, though, I found that zero preinfusion worked best for me and the roasts I use. I prefer more traditional Italian style roasts, and pre-infusion didn't seem to add anything (for my taste). So without preinfusion in the equation at all, I dialed in 19-20g doses for 36g outputs in a range of ~30-38 seconds (ranging from size 6 to 3 on my fully broken in SGP).

Lately, I've stopped cutting of the shot at a specific weight, and instead am trying to get consistent about cutting it off just as blonding starts by watching the bottomless PF carefully. So I get varying outputs because of my variable judgement of blonding, age of coffee, etc. But the taste 'seems' more consistent.

A bottomless portafilter is a good purchase in my opinion (if you don't already have one). You'll get better feedback on your process by seeing what the pull looks like, and even when you are not dialing in, etc. it is still a lot of fun to see every time. I put a mirror and a light on my BDB so I can see the bottom of the PF easily while standing at the machine. Can link what I use if you are interested.
As suspected I've broken down and gotten the naked PF and now looking into the levtamp. I am having a hard time understanding how it works. Did you get the basic black or?...

Bret

#73: Post by Bret »

Congrats! The bottomless PF will really help you tune your process. Can be frustrating and messy at times though, but worth it.

The LevTamp is really simple. The large diameter plate below the handle will sit level on the pf/basket rim. When you push the handle down, the smaller 58mm plate moves down to tamp the coffee. So it is self-leveling on the pf, and no depth setting required. Having to preset a depth on some other leveling tamps was straight up deal-breaker for me, since I would have to fuss with it whenever changing grind or doses,

I did order a custom tamp handle. I went thru the instagram page and found candidates I liked. I was very good at finding wood candidates that are long term special order, etc. I'd suggest just emailing Denis and asking him what wood he has available if you plan to go custom.

https://www.instagram.com/kafatek/

For me, the LevTamp met all of my needs, and solved the leveling issue completely.

OK31 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#74: Post by OK31 (original poster) replying to Bret »

Thanks that's helpful I don't think for $ that a custom anything is in my future. Aesthetics are only worth so much. So Entertain this for a second that top plate may at one point not be flush and if the handle doesn't touch the plate to straighten it then problem? I realize it would be minimal but would it require a second hand to go around making sure it's flush or is it a one hand operation? I'm fiddling now with spinning and texting heights and then end up wth flow on one side not the other. The naked pf will hopefully not spit at me. Watching some of the mediocre "baristas" do it without isssue makes me wonder if I'm really going to be that bad.

Bret

#75: Post by Bret »

It is possible to tamp without the leveling plate fully resting on the pf/basket rim, but you'd almost have to try if your dose is appropriately sized and reasonably distributed. So if your dose is still in a pile and offset, or perhaps over dosed, then you might not make contact evenly around the rim to start. Apart from corner cases like that, it just works. And in the corner cases it just doesn't feel right, so you kinda know something is off anyway.

But yes, you do level the plate on the rim before applying tamp pressure.

OK31 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#76: Post by OK31 (original poster) »

Bret wrote:It is possible to tamp without the leveling plate fully resting on the pf/basket rim, but you'd almost have to try if your dose is appropriately sized and reasonably distributed. So if your dose is still in a pile and offset, or perhaps over dosed, then you might not make contact evenly around the rim to start. Apart from corner cases like that, it just works. And in the corner cases it just doesn't feel right, so you kinda know something is off anyway.
Got it thanks. Will start with bottomless see how dirty I get and then muster up the $ and sell my wife in it. This hobby gets pricey