Having Trouble With Latte Art [Video]

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
coffeenewb56

#1: Post by coffeenewb56 »

Hi everyone! I got a Breville Bambino a few weeks ago and have been enjoying pulling shots from it. I recently started making cappuccinos but am struggling with latte art. I'm using the auto-froth feature on medium heat and medium foam but just can't get the milk to mark the cappuccino properly at the end. I'm attaching a video showing me trying. Would love some tips! Thanks.

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

Scott
LMWDP #248

Dpablo

#3: Post by Dpablo »

Your milk has a decent sheen indicating it was frothed correctly. The issue I saw was entirely due to the pour. Try a more steady stream leading into the cup, rather than a thin drip intermittently. When you're ready to put in a design, bring the pitcher closer and pour even faster into the center. That might get you a heart or apple or maybe just a dot in the dead center. Regardless, you'll get the feel for the pour.

MNate

#4: Post by MNate »

You're just too timid! I think it will come!

It seems rather magical when you're pouring and you as you do you dip the spout right super close to the surface of the espresso and a nice trail of microfoam just appears. Just go for it.

coffeenewb56 (original poster)

#5: Post by coffeenewb56 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. I tried again this morning with a sped up flow rate. It seemed a little better but mostly the same. What do you all think? When I go in for the design, the pitcher is resting on the rim of the cup so it's pretty low. Thanks.

MB

#6: Post by MB »

You filled too much of the cup with first phase of the pour, so the design didn't have any time to develop with the second phase. Less of a pause between the two will help so the milk doesn't settle and separate.

[edit: Removed section on steaming. On second look the milk wasn't too foamy.]
LMWDP #472

Dpablo

#7: Post by Dpablo »

There shouldn't be a pause at this phase in your latté art sessions. It should all be one fluid (pun intended) motion. Tilt the cup toward your pitcher slightly, start slow, and finish fast toward the center. Also, don't waste as much time breaking up the crema-an alternative is to put a drop of milk in with the shot and swirl the cup.

coffeenewb56 (original poster)

#8: Post by coffeenewb56 (original poster) replying to Dpablo »

Thanks! Not pausing actually helped me this morning. I ended up with at least something visible.

Also, what do you mean by "Also, don't waste as much time breaking up the crema-an alternative is to put a drop of milk in with the shot and swirl the cup."?

Dpablo

#9: Post by Dpablo »

The circular pour you're doing in advance of your design is intended to break the surface tension of the crema. There's no need to circle the cup with as much frequency as you've done in the videos.