Harsh bitterness in my espresso

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
trunks235

#1: Post by trunks235 »

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me with some quality control...I'm using a BDB and sette wi (setting anywhere from 4-6 with 1 shim installed) and lately, my shots have had an intense bitterness that rushes to the back of my tongue/mouth that I can't seem to get rid of. Based off the espresso 101 topics in this forum, it seems like the remedy would be to grinder coarser. However, with my current grind setting, I'm pulling the correct weight of coffee out and time for what would be a "good" shot -18 g in, 25-30 seconds and 34-36 g out. If I grind coarser, should I also try adding more coffee to the basket? Ie upping my dose to 20 g?

mountmustache

#2: Post by mountmustache »

Time is a loose guideline for dialing in your grinder or a new bean for the first time. It helps get you to a starting point that you can then adjust on taste. Same with the 2:1 ratio. So you're in the ballpark, now let's get to your seats.

Getting harsh bitterness, the beans are most likely over-extracting. Before changing my grind, I typically stop the shot shorter because I'm lazy and that's the easiest setting to change. I like to go 5g so it's noticeable. So that would be 18g in, ~30g out. If that's too sour, maybe up to 32/33g next time. Too bitter still, try 25g out.

If that doesn't work, grinding coarser is next step, starting back at that 2:1 ratio you had. If it comes out too fast, but the taste is good, who cares about time?

If that doesn't stop the bitterness, I would try lowering the brew temp. I usually go 2 degree Fahrenheit increments.

When I find which parameter gets me the closest to a good shot, then I start messing with the other two a little bit to get closer and closer.

If none of this works, it could simply be the beans, whether too old, too fresh, or not your preference
★ Helpful

Advertisement
trunks235 (original poster)

#3: Post by trunks235 (original poster) replying to mountmustache »

This is awesome advice and exactly what I needed! I'll get to testing tomorrow :)

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

mountmustache wrote:Time is a loose guideline for dialing in your grinder or a new bean for the first time. It helps get you to a starting point that you can then adjust on taste. Same with the 2:1 ratio. So you're in the ballpark, now let's get to your seats.

Getting harsh bitterness, the beans are most likely over-extracting. Before changing my grind, I typically stop the shot shorter because I'm lazy and that's the easiest setting to change. I like to go 5g so it's noticeable. So that would be 18g in, ~30g out. If that's too sour, maybe up to 32/33g next time. Too bitter still, try 25g out.

If that doesn't work, grinding coarser is next step, starting back at that 2:1 ratio you had. If it comes out too fast, but the taste is good, who cares about time?

If that doesn't stop the bitterness, I would try lowering the brew temp. I usually go 2 degree Fahrenheit increments.

When I find which parameter gets me the closest to a good shot, then I start messing with the other two a little bit to get closer and closer.

If none of this works, it could simply be the beans, whether too old, too fresh, or not your preference
This simple procedure should be added to or linked in the in the FAQ on how to adjust to taste. It is a simple start to diagnosing the issue.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Cigarman

#5: Post by Cigarman »

Wow! What mountmustache said is exactly the changes and results I've been doing to get my Robot to put put what I want.

soadasopa

#6: Post by soadasopa »

What type of beans are you using? Fresher/older, lighter/darker, single origin/blend?

#7: Post by trunks235 (original poster) replying to soadasopa »

Always fresh (within 2ish weeks of roast)

Current bag is an Indonesian SO from vigilante coffee. Otherwise I've been using their tin Lizzie blend, but I've been having some issues with that too so I want to get this figured out once and for all.

Side note, vigilante is a great roaster out of Maryland for anyone interested.

Advertisement
goalerjones

#8: Post by goalerjones »

guydebord

#9: Post by guydebord »

Apart from the great advice above, I want to add that your grinder is not up to par and that might be one of the reasons you are having problems. I own a Breville smart grinder that I use for French press and pour overs and works really well for that, however I once tried to test it for espresso and it never made a good cup from the 8oz bag I used, it rendered very inconsistent cups. You should start saving :mrgreen:
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

#10: Post by trunks235 (original poster) replying to guydebord »

I'm using a sette wi, not a smart grinder. What are you using for espresso now?