Hand Cranked Grinder Static Solution - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bluecold

#11: Post by Bluecold »

ira wrote:If it was simple or even reasonable I'm sure they would.
Or, 'as long as other manufacturers don't have anything, we don't need to embark on an expensive r&d project'
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

ira
Team HB

#12: Post by ira »

If you spend some time searching anti-static solutions you will find that there is a whole industry dedicated to this problem. Answers exist, but they are rarely small or inexpensive. Adding a small fan and a very reliable high voltage source to a grinder along with all the changes to make it work is completely silly for a shop grinder that grinds one shot every 2 minutes. Mostly because I'd guess that 95% of the end users would not care or notice and the price increase would cost market share. A distilled water reservoir that dispensed on drop onto a heated surface might work, but anything with water requires maintenance, distilled water and additional work on corrosion protection. Likely the reservoir would just be left empty or a couple of fills of bad tap water and it would be dead.

If you think it's simple, why no propose a solution. The least expensive I can think of for a shop grinder would be a double wall hopper with a perforated inner wall and the ability to slide a damp pad between the walls to raise the moisture level in the hopper. But you'd only want to do that if you empty the hopper at least daily. Might work perfect or maybe not at all. Good 3D printer project for someone.

Ira

grog

#13: Post by grog »

I don't understand why people are so offended at the concept of RDT. It's easy, it works, and it adds all of 1 second to your workflow. I have grinders that I've used RDT with for multiple shots a day for several years and they show no ill effects. Why is this bad?
LMWDP #514

IPW20X

#14: Post by IPW20X »

I use the RDT technique on my new HG-1 with stellar results. I dip the handle of a spoon in water and then use it to stir the beans around, that's it, very simple and takes about 5 seconds. Basically zero static or retention and a perfect grind.

Tonefish

#15: Post by Tonefish »

Another vote for RDT! I'm a user and believer.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

erik82

#16: Post by erik82 »

RDT is indeed very simple with no negative effects and much cheaper then all of the other solutions. Having burrs that are broken in does also help. I used RDT for the first year on my EG-1 and stopped using it after that as static wasn't a biog problem anymore. Some coffee oils on the burrs also do a great job as my blind shaker is crazy static for a week when I've cleaned it and stops being static once you see some coffee oils build up.

Renegade

#17: Post by Renegade »

I can get huge static issues with some beans (electric or manual grinding) and get none with other beans 2 minutes later.

Water will explain a grinder issue. No effects using it will explain a roasting issue.