Guidance on Ceado e37SD and Grind Setting

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Doppio1

#1: Post by Doppio1 »

Greetings,

I am new to this Ceado grinder and the forum. I am using it with a Profitec Drive.

I am using active preinfusion for 4 seconds and passive preinfusion for 6 seconds before timing the shot for around 25 seconds.

I am grinding Cliff Hanger Kicking Horse (a medium/medium dark roast) for a doppio at 18 grams.

What settings are you folks using for similar espresso beans?

Thanks in advance!

From PA

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

The nature of your question--help dialing in a specific blend--may be more suited to the Tips & Techniques forum.

A quick search suggests your blend is medium dark enough to have a shiny/oily bean surface. In that case, it's better to skip preinfusion, or perhaps use 2-3 seconds of low pressure (1.8 - 2bar) before beginning the brew cycle. A slightly coarser ground is also a good place to start with a darker bean like this. 20-23 seconds total brew time (21-25 if using preinfusion) is the indicator that lets you know your grind is coarser. Finer grinds would result in a longer brew time.

Lastly, the brew ratio will greatly impact the taste of your shot. Darker blends tend to like a tighter ratio. If you put 16g in your basket and get 25.6g beverage out, that's a 1:1.6 ratio, which is an OK place to start, but is also a shot in the dark.

From there, refine per Espresso 101, grind adjustment by taste.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

mrgnomer

#3: Post by mrgnomer »

I have a Ceado E37J. Don't know how the settings compare to the E37SD but when starting out I spin the burrs (I do it by hand but you can run the grinder too) to find the zero point where the burrs rub together and chirp at the finest setting and then adjust 4 numbers coarser to see how the grind extracts and fine tune from there. The Ceado has a rubber mount the top burr carrier rides on and some of the alignment and adjustment is affected by how hard the three screws are screwed in. I found my Ceado works best with the screws just tight enough to be secure but not so tight the rubber is overly compressed.

There's a lot of variables affecting grinder settings from basket type, dose volume, burrs, roast type, humidity, personal preferences. Experimenting helps to find what works best.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

mrgnomer

#4: Post by mrgnomer »

Just picked up and dialed in a Ceado E37SD with Opalglide burrs. The grind dial scale is different from the E37J but the travel distances are about the same. From the zero point: 1.2 for light roast, 1.5 for dark classic roasts with 15g VST basket. Extraction around 1:3 for light, 1:2 for dark. Still expecting to fine tune for extraction rate relative to flavour preference from roast to roast.
Kirk
LMWDP #116

mrgnomer

#5: Post by mrgnomer »

Been playing around with my used E37SD. First week of extractions weren't anything better than the E37J. Different but not really better.

After taking stuff apart, tightening and realigning a bit I think the used SD is closer to more precise. Anyway, shots are better. I'm liking them a lot. Using a third wave artisan lighter roast I'm getting lots of character, body and nice long finish tastes from a 1.4-1.6 setting. This is with the three top burr carrier screws screwed in to about 1/4 turn past bottoming and the worm gear at a neutral turn position.

It's true that the worm gear puts pressure on the cogs and will either lift or push down the burr housing depending on where you stop the tension, either in the finer tightening position, coarser loosening position or in between. In between I'm taking as tension free neutral which is where I adjust to.
Kirk
LMWDP #116