Grinding finer and lowering the dose to guide taste. Why not keep dose constant? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
mycatsnameisbernie

#11: Post by mycatsnameisbernie »

If you haven't already seen it, check out James Hoffmann's video on dose.

His answer to your question is: you normally want to keep the dose constant, but there are times when it is easier to dial in by adjusting the dose instead of the grind.

Jeff

#12: Post by Jeff »

Darker roasts can be "overextracted" leading to too much roasty flavors, even ones like burnt, charcoal, or ashy. Light roasts that are properly developed generally get watery or muddy if you go too long.

The "rule" is a guidepost or a benchmark. Once you pick your "reference" for your gear and the kind of coffee you pull, you get a feeling for how to adjust by taste from there. The 18, 1:2, 25 is a good one for common gear and coffee. If you're regularly pulling relatively light or dark roasts, you may choose a different benchmark for those coffees, based on your past experience.

Knowing the "rule" and how it behaves then lets you make a conscious decision to break it, without endlessly meandering about to try to dial in a coffee.

forbiddenbeat

#13: Post by forbiddenbeat »

I tend to keep dose constant, but I typically only drink medium to medium/light roasts. I actually tend to pick the dose ahead of time based on roast and bean description (ranging from 18-20g), and then just dial in grind size. I don't have time to play around with a specific dosing and how it impacts flavor, so I sort of just wing it.