Getting the most out of an EK43s and La Marzocco Linea Mini - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Shawnaks5 »

You can restrict your flow by installing the .6mm Gicleur. You can find it here:

https://www.voltagerestaurantsupply.com ... ur-l087gi6

I installed this in my LMLM and never looked back.

You can adjust the pump pressure as well. Here is a screen shot from the manual with instructions on how to do so:

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Shawnaks5 »

JonathanMichael wrote:Erik,

Thanks for the feedback. I wish there was a way to dial back flow/pressure but I'm not aware of any.

In general, have you found shorter shot times to be preferable?
At the end of the day you have to experiment to find what you like best. Just because the shot may look bad doesn't mean it tastes bad. Before I did any modifications to my LMLM I had a stock EK43s and was able to choke the machine easily. I found that for me shots in the 1:2.5 to 1:3 range tasted the best for the coffees I was using.

I think verifying the alignment is a good idea and puck prep makes a HUGE difference. I settled on two baskets: Ridgeless 18g VST and this one from espresso parts:
https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... ter-basket

Really love the espresso parts basket. I think it allows for a better extraction with lighter roasts and it will hold more than 14g.

Advertisement
JonathanMichael (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JonathanMichael (original poster) »

This is so helpful! I wasn't aware of this ability to adjust pump pressure. So do you just turn it down to a lower pressure? Or do you manipulate it as the shot is pulled?

Thank you so much

Eiern

#14: Post by Eiern »

You would reduce it to a lower pressure and leave it as it's inside the machine. Best would be to have a Scace device or build something to measure what pressure you're at. I like a 6,5 bar pressure as it gives me around 6 bar with a puck. Could try 7 and 8 bars as well. It's easier to get a good extraction in my experience with lower pressures with more unimodal type grinds, but 9 bars is probably OK too. But I wouldn't have it set to 3 bars so it's good to have something to measure with.

The smaller gicleur also should build up the pressure a little slower helping the preinfusion of the puck a little rather than it being blasted with water.

I like a slightly fast flow, 2+ gram/sec around the middle of the shots total weight, but it probably depends a little. I don't think 1g/sec and below is the best flow for EK burrs.

JonathanMichael (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JonathanMichael (original poster) »

I need to give this a try. Maybe I can find someone who will let me borrow a Scace.