Gaggia Classic Evo Pro shots pull "too" fast

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Janlex

#1: Post by Janlex »

Hi,

I recently bought a Gaggia classic evo pro 2023 (the european version still with the standard OPV - not the 9bar american OPV).
I am using the standard filterbasket (the one without the black pin) with the included 2 way-drip portafilter. My grinder is the Commandate C40. I grind at 11 clicks and use 18 grams of coffee. With that I want to recieve 36 - 40 grams of final espresso liquid. The tamper I use is (still) the pastic one that comes in the box (not optimal, I know)

My concern is, that the shots are pulling very fast. I heard and read in different sources that a brewing time of 20-30 seconds should be the goal (from pushing the button to the final extraction of 39 gram liquid). That said, my extraction time is around 10 seconds - even with the preinfusion hack (by turning the steamer on for the first 5 seconds).
The crema is very thin (or even non existent) an the shots taste bitter and have no real diversity in taste.

What is my mistake or how can I archive longer extraction times?

Thanks for any tips and help.

Best regards, Jan.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

Assuming the coffee is fresh, you most likely need to grind finer.

I would skip the "preinfusion hack" at least until you can reliably pull straightforward shots. Then you can decide if it improves or worsens your results.

The problem with the cheap tampers is that it is difficult to tamp level and evenly. If you aren't level or the puck has weak spots, the water will rush through those spots, "channeling". You don't have to press hard, just to the point where the bed starts to firm up and push back.

The C40 will be a challenge to adjust for espresso because of its steps. The right grind may be between steps. One step might be nearly choked off, the next might be 15 seconds. If that happens, you'll have to trim removing or adding a couple tenths of a gram in dose. The RedClix can help a little, but is still not great for espresso.

Janlex (original poster)

#3: Post by Janlex (original poster) »

Hi Jeff,
thanks for the welcome and advice.

I think the tamper is the first tool I need to upgrade.
Not temping to hard is a good recommendation. I probably pressed with to much pressure up until now.

Regarding the C40 I thought I got a good grinder for espresso - at least thats what I read in other articels. Well, than might need to consider the RedClix Upgrade.
Do you have any other tips or things to consider?

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Most people over-tamp when they start. Tamping simply provides a uniform bed of uniform density so the water flows through the puck at an even rate. Most black plastic-included tampers are poorly fitting and barely better than nothing at all.

An old-school learning tip is to use a bathroom scale. Put a towel on the scale and tamp on it. You can see how much pressure you are using. The benchmark is 30 pounds of pressure which is much less than most realize. I hold my tamper with 2 fingers and thumb and press down. That is more than enough pressure.

Stale coffee (should be 7-14 days post roast, no roasted on date, do not use it), too coarse a grind or inconsistent grind, uneven distribution will give you a fast flow rate
Dave Stephens

RegBeiber

#5: Post by RegBeiber »

Sorry for raising an older thread... I got the Classic last week and was having similar problems. I upgraded the tamper from the plastic one that comes with it and the difference is perceivable in the quality of coffee i get out.