Frozen cup

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by LBIespresso »

I got the idea of pulling a shot into a cold cup from a few different discussions here that brought up the temp of espresso and how people enjoy/find different flavors at different temps. This got me thinking, as someone who generally thinks that most coffee is served at too high a temp, maybe I should look into this.

My first experiment was to pull a shot into a cup straight out of the freezer. Very interesting! I am going to keep my findings to myself for now so I don't influence others if they want to try this (I encourage you to).
LMWDP #580

maccompatible

#2: Post by maccompatible »

I'd be paranoid the rapid change in temperature could damage the cup. In my experience, just pulling into a not-preheated cup is plenty of temperature difference to cool down the shot drastically.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

MB

#3: Post by MB »

Or, you can just pull it over Breyers Natural Vanilla. :lol:
LMWDP #472

thirdshifter

#4: Post by thirdshifter »

I'll try this too. I also like my espresso cooled down a minute or two. To be (too) specific, I actually like it when I take a sip of espresso and almost can't feel the liquid entering my mouth (because it's the same temperature as my mouth) -- so I just get a sensation of flavors and texture but no perceptible temperature change. Anyway..... I'll try the frozen cup thing.

Davidm

#5: Post by Davidm »

Literally just made my daughter... 27g of espresso poured over two scoops of vanilla ice cream and a little bit of chocolate syrup... good stuff if you have a sweet tooth.

CwD

#6: Post by CwD »

I use ice water in my cup for Turkish coffee, as the water is hottest at the end makes it takes forever and a half to reach drinking temperature otherwise. Might have to try it for shots too now.

LBIespresso (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) »

I have been playing with this idea for a while now and have settled on putting my cup in the fridge for a bit before pulling a shot. This seems to work best for me. The shot is a comfortable drinking temp right away and the flavors seem easier to identify. I realize that I can't avoid bias or test this scientifically, but I am happy with the results.
LMWDP #580