Frozen coffee beans: Grind from freezer or room temperature - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
lucasd

#41: Post by lucasd »

Problem with mason jar (bigger than single dose).
That whenever you open it, air come in and stays. You cannot squeeze it out, like in plastic bag.
So as getting bag from freezer may introduce little moisture, if you are quick and you squeeze bag it should be OK.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by JohnB. »

Lots of theoretical problems come up in these threads but most haven't been tested out by the person posting. I've been freezing my roasted coffee for 11 years & have tried every method over the years. The vac sealed mason jars works as well as the vacuum sealed bags for long term storage (3-6 months) & is more convenient for pulling out beans straight from the freezer. Once I start using a jar it goes fast enough that any air in the jar at -5*F hasn't been an issue.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by yakster »

I use canning (mason) jars to freeze and store my roasted coffee because they can be washed and reused.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jpender

#44: Post by jpender »

JohnB. wrote:Lots of theoretical problems come up in these threads but most haven't been tested out by the person posting.
Exactly.

You can squeeze more air out of a bag than a partially filled jar but there's still going to be a lot of air in the bag. So how much air is too much? What is the relationship between total oxygen, temperature, moisture, and staling? If you can't answer that question quantitatively then various solutions for removing air or minimizing moisture are just shooting in the dark.

gr2020

#45: Post by gr2020 »

Deebo wrote:In fact, keeping beans fresh over the course of several weeks is literally why I started freezing to begin with; we have a local roaster in Denver who recommends freezing, and I noticed they stayed fresher way longer than anything else I was buying... so I started experimenting.
Deebo, out of curiosity, which Denver roaster are you referring to?

Deebo

#46: Post by Deebo »

Kaladi Bros... honestly not my favorite roaster out here but they are who lead me to try freezing myself, so I give 'em props for that. I live close by, so I do buy a bag of their Trieste from time to time.
Think it, but don't overthink it...