Frozen coffee beans: Grind from freezer or room temperature - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BaristaBob

#11: Post by BaristaBob »

erik82 wrote:For me grinding frozen worked best tastewise. I always freeze in 46.5gr portions (3 espresso) and take a container out in the morning and transfer them to airtight containers when I get home from work so age of the beans was the same. I had been drinking one bean a whole week and just for fun tried to grind frozen. I had to adjust the grinder a bit coarser and it tasted better than all of the shots before that. I didn't have any expectations so no bias here.

I did this experiment a couple more times and always found grinding frozen better. I don't have enough containers (vitavac) to freeze 1kg of beans so for now I just freeze portions of 3 espressos at a time and defrost them.
I'm assuming that you ground from frozen on your LWW EG-1? This is a high end, quality grinder and you are still seeing enhanced flavor in the cup. I suppose this could be the case for most grinders, maybe less flavor boost the higher we go in grinder quality, but nevertheless still an improvement. I've watched enough of the World Barista Championships the past couple of years to realize many of the top-notch baristas are freezing their beans (some to insanely low temperatures) and grinding straight-away thru EK43 grinders to enhance their flavor profiles. You are another confirming data point. Thanks for sharing!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

erik82

#12: Post by erik82 »

Yes this was with the EG-1. Freezing the beans in a normal freezer accounts for 90% of the positive effects on grind distribution where freezing in extreme ways only gives a small extra benefit.

Advertisement
Deebo

#13: Post by Deebo »

I have been grinding straight from the freezer for probably 2 years now, wouldn't ever go back.
Think it, but don't overthink it...

lucasd

#14: Post by lucasd »

For pour-over and hand grinder, I think I found the frozen coffee as providing worse results.
For espresso not sure if I found any improvements, though have to grind coarser.
Extraction wise (optical refractometer) I saw no significant difference.

For sure it is good for storage...

bdnr

#15: Post by bdnr »

Deebo wrote:I have been grinding straight from the freezer for probably 2 years now, wouldn't ever go back.
Interesting. I wonder how does it affect the brewing temperature.

erik82

#16: Post by erik82 »

It doesn't as it's proven multiple times that after grinding the temperature is the same as grinding at room temperature.

Post number 4 in this topic even tells you that :wink:

CwD

#17: Post by CwD »

I dose 18g into the smallest mason jars, vacuum them out in my chamber sealer, and freeze. Then grind from frozen. IMO any difference in quality one way or the other isn't too substantial. But this way I can make an espresso now instead of in a couple hours.

Advertisement
kenyabob

#18: Post by kenyabob »

CwD wrote:I dose 18g into the smallest mason jars, vacuum them out in my chamber sealer, and freeze. Then grind from frozen.
I imagine that if you were to get tired of having 18g in each mason jar, and wanted to have all the beans you might use in a day or two in a single jar, then youd either have to wait for all the beans to warm up, grind all the beans at the same time (an obviously bad idea), or measure out and grind 18g of frozen beans, and return the rest to the freezer.

If I were in that situation, I suppose that Id just let a day or twos worth of beans come to temp and use them, vs dosing individually for the freezer. Id be hesitant as well to be moving a jar with 3 or 4 doses in and out of the freezer.

CwD

#19: Post by CwD »

Really don't see how anyone could possibly get tired of that when it's no more work than regular single dosing. Much less move to a solution that's more effort. Only have to weigh twice my way (once to dose into the jar, once after grinding. And only once if one bean is enough resolution for you.) but three times (Once to make sure the jar is a whole number of doses and you won't have half a dose left, once per dose, and once after grinding) if you freeze multiple doses per jar.

Plus with my humidity here, moisture instantaneously freezes on things as they're pulled out of the freezer, and on the beans before the lid is even totally off. Can't open frozen and put it back in this climate.

Davidm

#20: Post by Davidm »

Does anyone have a straight from freezer process?

I would like to keep beans in freezer and just take enough out for a shot or two and grind frozen.

Once the beans are frozen can I just leave a container in the freezer or will continually opening container ruin beans?