Frozen coffee beans - espresso brew temperature? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
thoraxe

Postby thoraxe » Aug 10, 2018, 10:43 am

7.5PSI is ~0.5BAR

Are you sure you didn't mean 7.5 BAR?

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Aug 10, 2018, 11:30 am

mike guy wrote:
Now that some of the big names (howell and rao) have come out in favor of grinding from frozen, I expect to see a lot more information come out as people learn what to do with it.

I don't know about Rao but George Howell has been pro freezing coffees for many years.
LMWDP 267

mike guy

Postby mike guy » Aug 10, 2018, 12:05 pm

thoraxe wrote:7.5PSI is ~0.5BAR

Are you sure you didn't mean 7.5 BAR?

Hah, yes. Need more espresso this morning.

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Aug 10, 2018, 2:31 pm

lucasd wrote:You need to grind coarser to keep frozen beans with similar time.

I have not found significant difference for grinding frozen. Maybe I even found out it has negative effect with conical grinder.
I simply store beans in freezer, but use room temperature for grinding (take package from freezer).

The results may be different with big flats...

Well, this might not be true in every case. For me and my "little" flat (Rancilio Rocky - 50mm flat burrs), I end up grinding my frozen beans one to two clicks finer. Currently the three coffees I'm currently drinking (medium to medium-dark roast) all take a setting of 2, whereas at room temp they are somewhere between 3 and 5 (coarser). This grinder is stepped with 55 settings, but 7 on down is espresso territory. With my Rocky, which admittedly is not quite the grinder for great espresso these days, freezing my beans really popped the flavor...much to my surprise and delight! This has helped me limp along until my Monolith Conical comes knocking at my door in October. Actually I'm hoping this part of what you said is true...that I no longer need to freeze my beans every night once the MonoCon comes! Maybe others that have tried freezing their beans and use a conical burr grinder (especially the MonoCon) could chime in with their experience.

For me...actual experience trumps theoretical principles in the cup everytime...but that's just me! :lol:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."

mike guy

Postby mike guy » Aug 10, 2018, 4:12 pm

Been freezing beans with a monolight conical for over a year now. It's not a need to freeze the beans, to make up for any grinder issues. I think the extractions are better. But I mainly do it because it halts the aging process on the beans and I can get a very consistent result no matter how long I've had the beans. I enjoy ordering lots of different coffees and don't want to finish a whole bag just to try something else. Most of the point of having a single dose grinder is that I can have several different coffees in the same day and not have any issue. If you want to have 3-4 coffees available all the time, or save some favorites, your coffee will go stale by the time you use it all.

For espresso that is. For pour over, I do not freeze the beans. Too many fines in pour over makes for an over extraction in my experience. I either leave out the coffee intended for pour over and store normally, or I let it thaw prior to brewing.