The Force Tamper not working as advertised [FIXED] - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BaristaBob

#11: Post by BaristaBob »

F1 wrote:Where did you buy the WPM ESP Cup from?
Hi Wally,

Here is where I made my purchase from. Dolo Coffee Supplies in Australia. Price very reasonable with exchange rate, shipping to USA wasn't an issue for me since my daughter lives in Sydney. They sent it to me along with a whole box of Aussie coffees!

https://dolo.com.au/products/wpm-distributor
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

BaristaBob

#12: Post by BaristaBob »

DonCon wrote: On related question, something I noticed with the tamper I wanted to ask the group. Does anyone else have any grind retention caught between the bottom of the tamp and the leveling plate?

I noticed after tamping two filters the force tamper retained a slight amount of grounds. I'll weigh it next time to double check how much.
Derek,

Yes, the tamper does retain "fines" between the two plates. At the end of the day, I open up the gap and blow a puff of compressed air in there (over the sink), and it's good to go for another day!

Hope that helps,
Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

jevenator

#13: Post by jevenator »

DonCon wrote:Thanks for this thread and the instagram video above, i was noticing some variations in leveling with the Force Tamper as well. I'll incorporate holding it to the PF above and see how it goes.

On related question, something I noticed with the tamper I wanted to ask the group. Does anyone else have any grind retention caught between the bottom of the tamp and the leveling plate?

I noticed after tamping two filters the force tamper retained a slight amount of grounds. I'll weigh it next time to double check how much.
Yep. I have a 58.5 and it's a pretty tight fit. But if you look at the clear basket videos of people using it you'll see that from the impact some things go flying including what's on the side of the basket wall. This as a result sneaks in i believe when you lift up as well since you have some room as you're pulling out before it meets the leveling plate again.

I pull back the plate and give it a tap or a few quick brushes to get it out.

DonCon

#14: Post by DonCon »

Thank you to both who commented above, appreciate the fast response. Wanted to confirm my personal n00b technique wasn't causing that.

I just pulled some delicious shots on my DE using the tips from that instagram video above. Immediately noticed a much more level puck inside the portafilter.

Cheers!
-D

eltakeiteasy

#15: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Mine finally arrived from espresso parts as well. I noticed the same thing, Here's my workflow in a video for anyone else not understanding as I had a friend tell me the trick in advance :) Also if anyone has a darker top and wants to swap for a lighter one let me know. This top matches the niche really well but I no longer have my niche. Very simple and effective tool IMO:
LMWDP #672.

F1 (original poster)

#16: Post by F1 (original poster) »

I knew I wasn't crazy. :lol: I bet there are lots of people using it single handed for years without realizing that they could be getting a better extraction if using both hands. I wonder if the Bravo tamper would work better single handed since it seems more robust and from the videos I have seen it seems to have no play.

omarbaha

#17: Post by omarbaha »

thank god I came across this thread :D .. I got my Bravo tamper not too long ago and 90% of the time the puck looks uneven. I was about to email Gilberto from Bravo to see if I got a defective tamper. Will have to try this out and see if this was the culprit

Don Task

#18: Post by Don Task »

F1 wrote:I knew I wasn't crazy. :lol: I bet there are lots of people using it single handed for years without realizing that they could be getting a better extraction if using both hands. I wonder if the Bravo tamper would work better single handed since it seems more robust and from the videos I have seen it seems to have no play.
I have both the Bravo and The Force (as well as a Reg Barber and a Pullman among others) In regards t the Bravo or The Force I found if you stand over your tamping station and concentrate on your tamping action you can get a level tamp with one hand. I also found attempting to use either tamper using one hand can lead to an uneven tamp if you're not paying attention when applying the tamp (i.e. working too fast). NET: It's easier, using either tamper, to simply develop the habit of holding the leveling plate against the portafilter with your free hand when applying the tamp as it provides consistent level tamps every time. That said... I now use The Force Tamper exclusively... all my other tampers have been put away. Although it did a great job at self leveling, my issue with the Bravo was the travel limit of the tamper disc is based on a random adjustment of the set screw by the user. Although it works great and provides consistent results I found The Force Tamper with its patented factory calibrated torque / click release system more satisfying to use.
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

Jeff
Team HB

#19: Post by Jeff »

I use and enjoy the Bravo, and recently checked my now-unconscious habit to find that I place it on the basket, gently hold it with a couple fingers of one hand, then press with the other.

Mine I've adjusted as soft as possible (around 22 lb-f, as I recall). At least for me, the tactile indication of "enough" pressure is sufficient.

F1 (original poster)

#20: Post by F1 (original poster) »

What blows my mind is that neither company mentions the need for that very, very important step. That does rub me the wrong way a little bit.