Filter basket size and dose variation?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SD Rick

#1: Post by SD Rick »

Why is it that some filter baskets are rated at a single weight and others have a spread? It is my understanding that a 14 g basket can be filled plus or -1 g. Some baskets are advertised 16 to 20 g. What is the difference between the baskets with a 4 g spread versus baskets that are rated at a single weight dose?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Capacity is pretty much bogus, especially as the density of grinds vary significantly across roast levels and the headspace of machines differ. I'm guessing that gram-sizing originally came from the era of doser grinders when fill-and-sweep was common for controlling the dose.

Pick a basket that has the flow characteristics you prefer at your desired dose. Too little headspace likely has more of an impact in the cup than too much.

boren

#3: Post by boren »

Do you see any issue with minimal headspace if the puck doesn't press against the shower screen at any point during the shot?

kye

#4: Post by kye »

IMS rates their baskets with separate weight ranges for different roast levels... https://imsfiltri.com/prodotto/b602th25/
If you watch/read enough people out there who are trying to push the boundaries and doing their own experimentation, you'll realise that practically any 'rule' can be broken under certain circumstances.
I wouldn't worry about it, and just play with dosing for the best tasting beverage.