Fast pour at high brew pressure

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
pig140

#1: Post by pig140 »

My VBM HX Jr sat up for about 6 months due to a kitchen renovation (thanks to a busted sewer pipe). Once it was back in service, I noticed perfectly timed shots were bitter even though the ratio was right. I realized the OPV had crept up to about 12. But the only way to pull a shot slow enough pegged out the pressure gauge. So, I reset the OPV and it's settled in around 10.5/11. The shots are greatly improved, but I'm still maxing out the gauge, and the ratio is still a little high.

I'm getting about 38-40g in the cup from a 17g dose in about 26-28 seconds, but the OPV usually hits 11. There's about a 10 second dwell time. I'm using Saeco 14g double baskets (I like the straight smooth sides, no grooves). I used local fresh roasted coffee almost every week. It's a medium roast. Occasionally we order online but the results are the same. We both use tap distribution. The grinder is a Baratza Vario.

I can't get seem to pull a shot and keep the needle around 10. I'm basically using the OPV to keep the pressure right. Is this pretty much the norm or is it possible to dial in a dose/grind and get a good pour without maxing out the gauge? Or is that not really important for this machine? Any tips or ideas?

Samcanadian

#2: Post by Samcanadian »

This is exactly the same problem I've been having. I always thought you could modify your technique to nail the pressure without having to worry about burying the needle at the max limit set by your OPV...but it turns out that's not the case, and everyone's basically using the OPV to set the top end of the pressure spectrum for their shots. I just recently modified my OPV to 10.5 and now I'm getting 25 second shots as desired...but it's using every bit of leash I've given it between 9 and 10.5BAR.