Extremely Educated/Highly Inexperienced - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
treybinkley (original poster)

#11: Post by treybinkley (original poster) »

You guys are awesome! I setup the machine today, and while I'm still missing some puck prep tools and my DF64 is on the way, I still pulled a few shots anyway with my ode, a needle for wdt, and some side tapping for leveling, and then the meh breville tamper. Got a few sours but then got some great juicy shots around the 37 second mark doing 20 in and 50 out. I used a strawberry forward Ethiopian blend called Dur Feres from Catalyst Trade that I roasted. Overall, I'm super happy with the BDB and excited to really dial in manual shots and then try slayer style shots. I'm beginning to love this as much as I love filter pour overs!!!!

iyayy

#12: Post by iyayy »

congrats on pulling the shot.
a proper 58.5 tamper actually makes a significant difference.
but u can still cheap out a bit.
i use few layers of high temp tape around the stock tamper to get close to 58.5mm diameter so that its more centered everytime i tamp.
i got a 58.5mm levelling tamper, and that helps a lot (but did take some fun out of tamping :cry:
im still considering if i should get a normal proper tamper.

Kaffee Bitte

#13: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

jrcdzn wrote:
3. The god shot is a myth
I don't think it is. I have pulled shots that I remember a decade later, very vividly. My daily good pulls, I couldn't describe a day or two later if I tried. The memorable ones though are just something else entirely. They will leave you a bit weak in the knees.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

jrcdzn

#14: Post by jrcdzn replying to Kaffee Bitte »

@Kaffee, fair enough. My point is: to try to pull consistently good shots and don't fall to the lure of the "God Shot."

Yes, you will get lucky and have something that, well, is above and beyond. In my opinion, the bar by which you judge your success should not be that shot.

Kaffee Bitte

#15: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Good point. I don't really chase those shots, I aim to pull as good as I can day to day I think of the WOWers as my reward for all those good shots pulled.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110